Heartbreak

Her heartbreak was grief that came in waves, gruelling, stealing appetite and sleep alike. It was a shard in her guts that never left, though perhaps would dull with time. It felt like death just the same as bereavement and in the quiet moments it choked the breath from her body and short circuited her mind. What was once whole now shattered; where once was peace now emptiness, echoes of a love she put her everything into. With each passing day he took another step away from her and them.

"Why don't you try to eat something?" Fred's gentle voice came from below her as she buried herself in the corner of the couch, a book on her lap as she tried drifting away from the world.

"Or drinking something? Last full day and all...we could get drunk?" George added in the same tone as his brother.

They had been like this for the last few days. Waiting on her, trying their best to make her laugh and being very careful with what they were saying.

One night, Liv had rushed into the boys room in a panic trying to wake them up as Caitlin was screaming in her sleep. Agonising, pain filled screams, cutting through the silence of the night. George had lifted her and placed her against his chest as she cried, Liv doing the same against Fred out of fear for her best friend.

The past days had been extremely tolling on her. His words replaying in her head over and over again like a torturing curse that would never leave. She had begged Snape to make her a dreamless sleep potion but even that couldn't penetrate the pain and sadness she was feeling. Every night, the same dream repeating itself continuously. A black shadow of a familiar figure, leaving. Spitting venomous words and leaving her alone, in the dark hole he had built especially for her.

It would take a long time before that stopped. A long long time.

"Boys I'm fine" she sighed, not looking up from the pages as their shoulders slumped in defeat, "We get our results today right?"

"Yeah, but you don't have to worry about that, we all know you got top marks" Fred laughed.

"I wouldn't be so sure...I got distracted this year" she mumbled, more to herself than them.

"You can say that again" Liv chimed from the side of her, lay down across the rest of the couch with the daily prophet over her face. She wasn't doing too well either. She could barely sleep, knowing her friend was on the other side of the room having nightmares of him, she would stay awake and wait. Wait for the screaming, wait for the pain. She was exhausted. She needed him too. He would know what to do and right there in those moments she was at a loss.

"Are you two ever going to tell us what's wrong...your scaring us" George asked pleadingly, looking between the two as they gave each other a knowing look.

"No" the replied in sync.

"Right...of course not" George huffed in annoyance, "Not as if we have been your best friends for the last 6 years or anything" he stood up and stormed off as they watched him guiltily, whilst Fred remained glued to the coffee table in front of him, his eyes trained on Caitlin's face as he searched her eyes.

"Caitlin.." he whispered gently, "He isn't worth it...please just-just find your way back to us, not now I understand you need time, but when you do, We will be here, I promise...just know...he isn't worth it"

Caitlin looked up in confusion before seeing his solemn and knowing expression and her eyes began to brim with tears.

"W-what...what are you talking about?" she whispered, furrowing her brows as she tried to hold in the tears.

"You know what I'm talking about, you know who I'm talking about. The night we went to see the band...I-I wasn't sure...but then he left and...and well, it broke you didn't it?" He placed his hand over hers as tears began to run down her face. Liv sat up at this point giving him a shocked look and shaking her head in disbelief.