Protection

Standing silently, his chest heaving up and down, as a broken expression took over his face, he stared at the splintered wood scattered across the floor. Anger and hurt had succumb him. He wanted to scream from the emotional pain.

Why hadn't he said something? Why did he just sit there like an idiot? He had let the broken girl walk away from him again and this time she didn't even look back.

She had thought of him. That was the memory she used and that thought not only confused him but made his whole body ache to be near her. To touch her, to hold her and to just feel her affection. It had been so long since he had felt wanted and now it was hitting him at full force. It was so overwhelming.

Letting out a shaky breath, he moved towards the broken wood and began to gather the pieces. Bending down with great effort, as he tried not to collapse from exhaustion and pain.

He had almost gathered every splinter when they had all crashed to floor as a sharp prod stuck into the back of his neck, making him freeze and look up to the wall in front of him.

He slowly straightened his back, as the wand stuck deeper and deeper into his neck and raised his hands slightly in surrender.

"Give...me...one...good...reason" came a clearly angered Snape from behind him. The low and menacing tone creating a cold shiver to travel down his back.

"Severus... now whatever it is, I'm sure we can work this out rationally...like the adults we both are" Remus stated calmly, trying to hide the slight fear he was feeling, knowing that if he said the wrong thing, Snape would not hesitate to hex him into next week, or worse.

"I think we should have a little...chat, Lupin" drawled Snape, as he carried out every word with emphasis.

"I could not agree more, why don't you lower your wand and-"

"I'm sorry I forgot my god damn...WHAT THE FUCK!?!?" Caitlin stood there in shock, taking In the scene before her. Snape's wand pressed against Remus' neck as he stood there helplessly,  amidst scattered splinters of wood.

She had forgotten her bag during the emotion-filled encounter and realised she would still need it for the day tomorrow. As soon as she had made her way to the common room she realised and let out an exhausted groan, spinning back round on her heel and preparing for the awkward interaction she was about to have. She never in her wildest dreams expected to walk in on this. She began to fill with panic realising that Snape must have put two and two together. This was because of her.

"Leave" they stated in unison as Remus' head turned slightly to look at her and Snape's not leaving his back.

"What-what the hell are you doing?" she exclaimed walking over to Snape.

"Please Caitlin...leave, you'll get hurt" Remus tried, still facing the wall yet attempting to turn to look at her.

She look at him confused, the pleading look shining in his eyes then back to Snape who's stature had not moved once. She realised he was at a loss, he could not do anything whilst she was there and this gave her some control over the situation.

She slowly reached her hand out, wrapping her small fingers around his wrist and lowered his frozen arm with great effort, her heart hammering against her chest.

"You seriously misunderstood...my state had absolutely nothing to do with Professor Lupin..." she lied, speaking every word slowly, trying to let it sink into his anger hazed mind.

Despite the fact that the wand no longer was stuck in the back of his neck, Remus still felt frozen, he could attempt to go for his own wand, but what use what that do. It would only put Caitlin in more danger then she was already putting herself in right now.