5. Scold

Steven: By the way, where are the Diamonds right now?

Pink Pearl: *sniffles* I-I haven't the foggiest idea, they just said they were gonna take a "well-deserved vacation".

Amethyst: *sarcastically* Oh, yeah. After destroying hundreds of planets and Gems over millennia, anyone would be tired and wanna take a "well-deserved vacation."

Steven: I see. In that case, I'll contact the Diamonds later, let them know the situation and let them take care of the problem.

Everyone: What?!

Steven: Homeworld is their... home world? Redundancy aside, it's up to them to protect their home and deal with their problems, not me. *waves goodbye* See you later, guys.

[Steven walks away and takes a stroll around Little Homeschool.]

Amethyst: Is he really our Steven? The Steven I know would've immediately gone to help Homeworld Gems.

Bismuth: He didn't even stick around for his party.

Amethyst: Too bad.

Pearl: *turns to Garnet with concern* What do you make of all this? Should we take action or not?

Garnet: Hmm, I think Steven's right. We defected from Homeworld a long time ago, it's not our duty to protect it just because it's changed.

Amethyst: That's true. It's not like Homeworld doesn't have thousands of Gems in its ranks, right? Besides, the Diamonds are the most powerful beings in the universe. Pfft! Those Gems don't stand a chance.

Bismuth: Yeah. Don't worry about Homeworld, they can take care of themselves.

Pearl: *not quite convinced* I think... you guys are right.

【At the same time.】

[In a dimly-lit room of Homeworld Palace, Bluebird is on her knees before three Gems who scold her for her incompetence.]

????? ???? ?????: It's been days since we took over the palace!

???????: *enraged* Why the hell did you wait till now to tell us all this, you moron?!?!

Bluebird: I-I'm so sorry! It's just... it slipped my mind.

???????: How the hell could something this important have slipped your mind?!

???? ?????: I thought Aquamarine's memory was perfect.

Bluebird: It is, but... Ruby's isn't.

???????: Can't believe two Gems doesn't equal one!!

????? ???? ?????: Bluebird, you messed up big time.

???? ?????: Indeed.

???????: I want you to give us ONE reason not to shatter you right now!!

Bluebird: *in fear* Well, I, uh...

???? ?????: Just one, Bluebird.

????? ???? ?????: Yeah, we didn't ask you for that many.

Bluebird: I-I-I know that my Ruby side isn't very... efficient, it even detracts from my Aquamarine side, but... *begs in terror and tears* I'll do anything to make up for my mistake! I beg you to give me a second chance! I'll show you I'm useful! But please don't shatter me, guys!

???? ?????: Heh, look. She believed us.

????? ???? ?????: So I see.

Bluebird: Wait, what?

????? ???? ?????: Even if you've screwed up, you can still be useful.

???? ?????: That's why we're not going to shatter you.

Bluebird: But you said-

???? ?????: *chuckles* Don't freak out, we were just kidding.

????? ???? ?????: *laughs* I got a kick out of watching you beg us and scream "please don't shatter me, guys!" *laughs*

???? ?????: I know, right? *snorts and chuckles* Oh, Azurite, you should've seen the look of terror on your face! *laughing* It was priceless!

Bluebird: *relieved* Whew, you scared the heck out of me. Thank goodness you guys were just kiddi--

???????: WELL, I WASN'T KIDDING!!! Bluebird, you were so stupid to let a puny, cracked Pearl get away!!

Bluebird: *frightened* I-I already told you that a sneaky, nimble Gem kept me from taking out the Pearl! But, I think we can still intercept the pod and destroy it!

???????: You fool! It's too late now!

????? ???? ?????: That's true. Escape pods aren't as fast as ships, but the Pearl has almost certainly reached her destination by now.

Bluebird: You-You're right! What do you think her destination is?

????? ???? ?????: No idea.

???? ?????: Most likely Earth.

Bluebird: Earth?

???????: If so, that Pearl will have told Steven all about us by now.

Bluebird: So? He was going to find out someday anyway, wasn't he?

???????: You don't understand anything, do you!?!

Bluebird: Huh?

???????: It wasn't in our best interest for him to find out about us!

????? ???? ????: At least not yet, it wasn't the right time.

???? ?????: I think so too.

???????: Now because of your ineptitude we'll probably have to rethink the situation!

Bluebird: *shivering in fear* S-S-Sorry!

???????: For your sake, I hope what we had lined up for today goes well! if it doesn't, you're dead!

Bluebird: Wait a sec, what are you talking about?

???????: *shouts* Hey you, come on in!!

(The silhouette of a Gem in pigtails is seen casually leaning against the door frame.)

Bluebird: No way! It's you!

???????: I hope you're ready for this.

??????: I am, ma'am.

????? ???? ?????: Considering her background and how well we trained her, it's certain that she'll be able to fulfill this assignment.

???? ?????: With Bluebird's statement it is more than proven.

???????: I had my doubts because of the type of Gem she is, but I think you're right. Still, let's not forget that Bluebird's screw-up can be a serious drawback.

????? ???? ????: Don't fret, we just have to trust her.

???? ?????: Yep.

??????: *bows* I thank you for trusting me.

???????: Well then, go!

??????: Right away! *leaves the room*

Bluebird: Hey, why am I the only one who doesn't know what you guys are talking about? Tell me!

???????: No, you'd just screw it up.