29. Made Of Love

[Stevonnie and company arrive at the conversion room and immediately hide behind a pillar when they see Garnet guarding the entrance, so they speak quietly so she can't hear them.]

Stevonnie: Look, there's Garnet; we finally found her.

Amethyst: We're so lucky she's here and not in the main hall.

Peridot: True.

Pearl: Now what, Stevonnie?

Stevonnie: Okay, listen up; she won't listen to what we say if we casually walk up to her, she'll want to pick a fight with us, but that's not why we're here, so we'll wait for the right moment to sneak up on her and then- *gets interrupted by Garnet*

Garnet: You four, come out of hiding! *she shouted* I know you're behind that pillar, come out immediately!

Stevonnie: What the heck just happened? Did she spot us?!?!

Amethyst: But we haven't even peeked out! How did she manage to spot us?!

Garnet: Right now the Amethyst is wondering how I managed to spot you, am I right?!

Amethyst: ...

Garnet: Well, the answer to that question is quite simple, indeed. *adjusts her visors* You don't need to know it, though.

Amethyst: Oh, right - Her future vision, how could I forget?

Stevonnie: Yeah, whatever, we have no choice but to face Garnet head-on!

Pearl: So it seems.

Peridot: Great, that's all we need.

[Stevonnie and company come out of hiding.]

Garnet: I see you've chosen the path of treason, huh.*summons her gauntlets*

Stevonnie: Garnet, we don't want to fight you! We just want to help you remember who you are!

Garnet: Don't talk nonsense, you traitors! I wouldn't want to bother my superiors with this little... incident, so you'll be lucky to be shattered by me! I hope you're ready!

[Garnet charges at Stevonnie at high speed, but Stevonnie blocks her with ease. Garnet then throws a hook punch to Stevonnie, then an uppercut, then a continuous series of punches, but Stevonnie effortlessly dodges them all.]

Garnet: *impressed* Wh-what are you?

Stevonnie: Garnet, please calm down! What do you say we sit down and talk for a minute, just you and me, okay?!

Garnet: Shut up!!

[Garnet is about to throw another punch at Stevonnie, but Amethyst suddenly wraps her flails around Garnet's fist.]

Amethyst: Gotcha!

[Amethyst then swings Garnet up into the air with her flails and slams her into the ground.]

Amethyst: ...

[Garnet gets up without a scratch.]

Garnet: Is that all you've got?

Amethyst: It-it can't be, she--

[Garnet uses her electrical powers to send a powerful current through the whip, electrifying Amethyst and causing her to scream in pain until she falls out cold.]

Garnet: What a pitiful weakling. And she calls herself a Quartz Soldier?

Pearl and Peridot: Amethyst!!

Garnet: You two are pitiful weaklings as well! Get lost!

[Garnet launches her gauntlets as projectiles, striking Pearl and Peridot squarely, sending them flying into a wall and knocking them out.]

Stevonnie: Garnet, stop!!

Garnet: You're the only one worth fighting with. *rebuilds her gauntlets* I'm intrigued by your strength, you effortlessly dodged all my punches, how did you do it? You're not an ordinary Rose Quartz, are you?

Stevonnie: What are you now? A Jasper 2.0? Just look at you, Garnet, that's not who you are.

Garnet: You don't know me from Adam.

Stevonnie: Actually, right now I know you better than you know yourself.

Garnet: I've had enough of you. You're just spouting incongruities.

Stevonnie: Oh, yeah? So, would you be so kind as to explain to me why Ruby and Sapphire fused in the first place? Why do you exist?

Garnet: I'm under no obligation to answer you on that.

Stevonnie: No, but you have to! Come on, answer me! Why do you exist, Garnet?!

Garnet: ...

Stevonnie: Well?

Garnet: My existence was quite an anomaly, a mere accident, I thought, which at first had me confused.

Stevonnie: You still are, aren't you?

Garnet: No, not anymore. My superiors cleared my mind of all doubt and confusion, taught me that everything I know; fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Gems stronger, that's all, and that's why I exist!

Stevonnie: Wrong.

Garnet: Huh? What's the answer then?

Stevonnie: You!

Garnet: *confused* Wh-what the heck!?

Stevonnie: The confusions or difficulties that a couple goes through are overcome with truth and love, that's what you are, Garnet... Love! You exist because of Ruby and Sapphire's love, therefore... you are made of love!

[Garnet makes her gauntlets and visors disappear, and looks at the gems on the palms of her hands.]

Garnet: Am I... made of... love!? So that strange feeling inside me that has been bothering me all this time was that? Love?

Stevonnie: Indeed.

Garnet: But I... don't... understand.

Stevonnie: Look, acouple is a team where love, support, respect, fidelity, understanding and loyalty are the fruit of hard work. I mean, it's just about Ruby and Sapphire loving each other. And you, Garnet, loving being you. No one but you can tell you what to do, who you are or why you exist, only you can make those decisions! Don't let anyone else take away your decision to love!

Garnet: T-That's right!

[Garnet begins to glow and cycles through her several previous form and reforms as her current self. Ruby and Sapphire's rings blaze onto her fingers and she summons her visor over her eyes.]

Stevonnie: Garnet, you're back! *runs up to hugs Garnet*

Garnet: All thanks to you.

【After a while.】

[Pearl, Amethyst, and Peridot regain consciousness, then regroup with Stevonnie and Garnet.]

Pearl: Good thing you're back, Garnet.

Peridot: Yup, it's good to have you back. Although there wasn't much need, I had been performing my duty as the new leader of the Crystal Gems very well, as usual, you know.

Pearl: What?

Garnet: Good work, Peridot.

Pearl: Please don't play along.

Garnet: *adjusts her visors* Well, I suggest we get out of here before we get--

[A Blue Gem suddenly appears at the end of the corridor behind Stevonnie and the others.

?????: *shouting* Hey, what are you Gems doing there?!

Garnet: --caught.

Stevonnie: *nervously* Hehe. I am afraid it's a little late now, Garnet.