27. Independence

[Stevonnie checks the map, looking for the Gem closest to them.]

Stevonnie: I think Garnet is the Gem closest to us.

Pearl: Seriously? Where exactly is Garnet?

Stevonnie: Well, she usually frequents three different places. And the one closest to us is hall 2J1 in the palace.

Amethyst: What are we waiting for then? Let's go get her!

Pearl: Mm-hmm.

Stevonnie: *turns to Nephrite Cut763* Captain!

Nephrite Cut763: Yes?

Stevonnie: You and your crew stay here and do what you can to help these Pearls get their memories back.

Nephrite Cut763: No problem, we'll take care of everything.

Stevonnie: Ok. I'll leave you a couple of scanners just in case.

[Stevonnie takes some scanners out of their backpack and hands them to Nephrite.]

Nephrite Cut763: Thank you, we'll get on it right away.

Stevonnie: *turns to their friends* Well, we can go now!

Lars: Stevonnie, please hold on a second!

Stevonnie: What is it?

Lars: I'll manage on my own from now on.

Stevonnie: What the-?! Why?!

Lars: The Off Colors aren't that far from here, I'd like to be the one to rescue them.

Stevonnie: Are you really sure about what you're doing, Lars?

Lars: Absolutely. Besides, the number of people in this group keeps increasing, and a group of too many people draws too much attention, you said that earlier, didn't you?

Stevonnie: Yes, I did say so, but.... Well, anyway, if that's your decision, there's nothing we can do about it to change your mind, is there? Do you need anything?

Lars: I just need a map so I don't get lost in this place. And a scanner, I'll need it in case I run into a rejuvenated Gem I don't know.

Stevonnie: Got it. Here you go.

[Stevonnie hands Lars everything he needs.]

Lars: Thank you so much, Stevonnie.

Stevonnie: If you ever get into trouble, don't hesitate to contact us, okay?

Lars: Rest assured.

Stevonnie: Well, take care of yourself, buddy. And good luck!

Lars: Same to you. *waves goodbye* See ya later!

[Lars runs out of the storeroom in search of his Off Colors friends.]

Stevonnie: All right, guys, let's be on our own way too!

[Stevonnie, Peridot, and Amethyst ran out of the storeroom. But Pearl, for some reason, stayed in there, watching the other Pearls still panicking about what had happened.]

Stevonnie: Hm?

[Stevonnie notices that Pearl was left behind.]

Stevonnie: *shouts* Pearl, is something wrong?!

Amethyst: *shouts* Why are you staying behind? Come on, let's go!

Pearl: Please wait for me, I'll be with you in a minute!! *she shouted from the storeroom*

Peridot: Eh?

Amethyst: What's she up to?

Stevonnie: No idea.

【In the storeroom.】

Pearl: Pearls, listen to me! I understand how you feel right now, I know you are scared and confused about what happened, but don't worry. The Gems who stay here won't hurt you, I swear! They just want to help you to be free, to have your own will, to be independent, just like me!

[All the Pearls begin to calm down thanks to Pearl's words.]

Pearl: I'd really love to stay and help you, but unfortunately the situation is beyond us and my friends and I are running out of time. That's why I'm asking you to calm down and let these Gems help you. No one is ever going to hurt you again, I assure you.

[The Pearls have calmed down a bit.]

Pearl: Well, see you later, Pearls!

[Pearl runs out of the storeroom and reunites with her friends.]

Amethyst: At last, what were you doing in there?

Pearl: Just can it, will you? Let's go!