70- Worthless

Emerald: Ruby and Aquamarine met when they were cast out, forgotten in time. One day I ran into them by chance, I had to save them from a mob of Gems who were chasing them because they wanted to beat them up just for not following your stupid ideals.

Steven: What?!

Emerald: I used to think I was the only one who didn't like era three. When I met those two, however, that's when I realized that there were a lot of Gems like me in the universe. But given the kind of circumstances mentioned above, I and all those Gems had to stay hidden, repressing our dislike for this era for a long time. Luckily, that's over now.

Steven: ...

Emerald: You don't care about those Gems in the least, you didn't even think about their mere existence, did you?!

Steven: I always thought about everyone! That's why I changed the things the Diamonds did wrong!

Emerald: That's nonsense! For you everything is joy and happiness, isn't it?

Steven: Yes! That's why I dismantled the Diamond Empire, so that all the Gems could be happy living their lives in freedom!

Emerald: And you think that was a good idea? There were many Gems who were happy with the life we had with the Diamonds. Your change was very abrupt, impossible to process and accept.

Steven: It's just a matter of getting used to it, I know it's not easy but-

Emerald: *interrupts* Shut up! You can't change things just like that, the repercussions would be enormous!

Steven: You might be right.

Emerald: I'm sure everyone follows you out of fear, out of personal convenience or maybe because of the influence your image generates. I was thinking about it for a while, until I came up with something.

Steven: Huh?

Emerald: Ruby and Aquamarine would be the catalysts, I told them to fuse into Bluebird so they would go unnoticed that time they visited Earth. Besides, I didn't send them just to take away what you love the most, but also to ruin your image!

Steven: What... do you mean?

Emerald: It's very simple. When someone takes away something valuable to you, the normal thing is to be filled with hatred, rage and lust for revenge.

Steven: So... you're telling me that you expected me to kill them if they killed my father?

Emerald: Yeah. That's a normal reaction for anyone, even for those who think they are good guys like you.

Steven: Hmph.

Emerald: And so, what do you think the other Gems would've thought after finding out that the legend, Steven Universe, the savior of the universe, had mercilessly shattered two little Gems just because they didn't think like him?

Steven: This is inconceivable.

Emerald: Obviously, your image would be ruined and your reputation would quickly plummet. The Gems would begin to hate and distrust you, I'd take advantage of that to recruit them into my army.

Steven: But the rejuvenator saved you the trouble of doing all that, didn't it?

Emerald: Exactly.

Steven: I still can't believe Bluebird agreed to be part of a plan where she could have been shattered.

Emerald: As stupid as she is, it's obvious that she wouldn't have liked the idea of being shattered. However, Gems like her abound in the cosmos. They are all disposable, which is why I didn't tell her my true intentions.

Steven: What the-?!

Emerald: After serving their purpose, they all become nothing more than worthless trash.

Steven: *enraged* You can't play with other people's lives that way! *yells furiously* No matter who it's, all lives matter!!

Emerald: Huh? Why are you getting upset, Steven? Do you have a problem with what I said?

Steven: Don't you understand?! What you're doing is so wrong!

Emerald: Whether it's right or wrong is none of your business. I am free to do whatever I want, you said so yourself, or am I wrong?

Steven: No, you are right. When I disbanded the Diamond Empire, I told all the Gems that they were free to do whatever they wanted... As long as they don't hurt others!

Emerald: Don't lie. You didn't say that before.

Steven: It was an obvious thing to understand, wasn't it?

Emerald: Of course it wasn't! Everything you said was very ambiguous. Do you think that everybody thinks like you, or is able to guess what you think?