NOT-SO-SUBTLE IRONIES

“I’ll, I’ll talk to him.”

He ruffles his hair and closes his eyes for a minute. Is he doing this on purpose? He is doing this on purpose.

“I’ll go.” He opens his eyes and looks at me warily.

“And the one you were going with?”

“I’ll talk too.” I nod silently, not knowing what else to say to that. Who was he going with anyway? I definitely don’t need to know that.

I look at his eyes searching my face for one final time, before I turn on my heels and make away. One man down. One more to go.

*

“This is even more pitiful than I thought.”

“There’s still hope.”

“I’ve made a lot of choices that have gotten me here. I deserve this. I deserve to die.”

“DUUUUUDEEE NOO NO NO NO! Damon can’t die, Damon’s going to die?” Lily cries out in a shrill voice with a light sniff and I roll my eyes.

“Lily, you’ve seen all the seasons already, you know he doesn’t die.”

“What is with you, do you always have to kill my vibe?”

“No, you’re the one killing Damon.” I roll my eyes and scribble once again the math problem, I’m struggling with. God I hate this. I don’t even want to imagine myself in that examination room, after the fundraiser.

And I hate the thought of rhe dance. Hardin and Trevor, it’s going to be a grand mess.

“No… You don’t.”

“I do, Elena. It’s okay. Because if I’d have chosen differently, I wouldn’t have met you. I’m so sorry. I’ve done so many things to hurt you.”

Oh god, my head hurts. Damon’s otherwise romantic moment of confession that would under normal circumstances, bring me to the knees, has me remembering of how Hardin had apologized to me, with the brownie in the cafeteria.

Of how Trevor has always, only ever been there for me, helping me like no there and having my back, everytime.

And how I have hurt both of them.

Fudge. Is this some kind of a cosmic joke going on, on me? It’s like suddenly everything in the world is about me and Hardin and Trevor.

I chew on my lip to distract myself.

“It’s okay. I forgive you.”

“I know you love Stefan. And it will always be Stefan. But I love you. You should know that.”

“I do.”

I face palm. This is not helping. Does Damon really have to die now, or no he shouldn’t die ever. More like does Lily really has to see this particular episode now?

“Lily shouldn’t you be studying? Exams start just a week after the dance.”

“Wha- Math?” I nod and she makes a disgusted puking face.

“I’m in the middle of something here, oh yeah what’s it called, yes not giving a fuck about Math.” She doesn’t even remove her eyes from the screen and I fume internally. Use fudging headphones then, you obnoxious eel!