GOODNIGHT, GOODNIGHT

My pulse has gone all high, and I pant heavily. I’m scared, for Brit, for myself. We have to get out of this.

I can still hear Brit crying in the background, trying to scream for help. The helplessness is suffocating. I blink twice and struggle back up on my feet, with my head in my hands.

I walk out hurriedly in search of some tool to assist me. I reach the garden area, my legs slightly misbalancing my body. I hold my head in anguish, and just on cue I spot what I needed.

I pick it up by the handle and run back into the classroom. I see the guy all over Brit as her flushed and tear stained face still attempted to shout.

I make quick strides towards them and with every might of my body, I hit his head with the shovel. The metallic bang echoes all around as the guy, clutching his head falls down, hopefully just passed out.

I drop the axe and set Brit free, while removing the gag and she instantly hugs me tight, sobbing uncontrollably.

I hold her close, taking deep breaths myself and she sinks to her knees dragging me down with her.

“It’s… it’s okay, Brit.”

*

I sit, clutching the sides of the bench, a wet cloth gently dabbing my forehead, where I have been hurt. Brit had been taken to the infirmary, right after she threw up and the school staff found us.

The guy, Dan was now in the next room, with school security and I am currently waiting to meet the dean who had summoned me. I just desperately hope I am not suspended, or worse, expelled for violence.

It’s totally dark by now and all I can see are the small stars gazing back at me, assuring me that everything was alright now.

I can’t even imagine the state Brit would be in. I really hope she’s not much trau-

“Miss Young . You have been called in.”

I remove the clothing from my forehead and stand up slowly walking in the cabin.

The spacious, and comfortably cool room is all white with light blue curtains. Trophies, framed certificates and photographs hang on the wall I am facing and just below it, is an oversized cushioned chair, with an old man, approximately in his fifties, looking up at me.

The man, though old, seems to have quite a smartness and an intimidating aura. The rimless spectacles partially veil his otherwise sharp, yet kind eyes. I wouldn’t call this the typical old bushy dean.

“Miss Young . Sit down, have a seat.” I take the unoccupied seat in front of him and wait for him to continue.

“You do know, that for attacking a fellow student and on campus, I can rightfully expel you, yes? Anything in your defense?” Just what I had feared. Celia is going to kill me.

“Uh, sir, I don’t happen to regret my actions. What Dan did was legally and morally unethical.”

“And did you think it was your place to act?”

“I did, sir. I couldn’t possibly stand there and have Brit, as well as myself, getting wronged or hurt. And I’m sorry if self defence does not really fall in line with your school discipline.” And there you go, I said it. Why can’t I keep shut for once? I was supposed to get out of trouble, not more into it.