ACTIONS AND JUSTIFICATIONS

I take my seat avoiding every pair of eyes that turns to me, hoping for this to end already.

I have postponed the explanation to Lily for later. I’m hoping she’ll forget. The entire room soon falls into dead silence as the professors take their places, with dean Brandon in the middle.

Ms. Xavier had taken the mic and is currently stating the reason for today’s gathering which everyone was all too aware of.

And then one by one she starts calling out names of the candidates for the council and I start fiddling with my fingers.

“…Trevor Matthews ,”

That jerk! He couldn’t have told me he was contesting as well? I watch his grey shirt clad back making his way into the front with the others, after his loud and confident positive answer, of course.

Trevor slayed in everything there ever was.

Why would he negate? He wants this. He’s good at this. He would be a great leader, surely.

But I don’t think I can. Especially after what happened last year. I don’t want myself to be in that position once again.

“…and Hardin Scott.” I jerk up my head suddenly. Hardin too?

He stands up with ease, mutters a loud and confident approval in his thick accent and walks upto stand beside Trevor in his black shirt.

Is this the same shirt I had spilt coffee on? I shake my head distractedly. Coffee and shirts are the least of my concerns right now. I’m preparing an answer.

‘Theresa Young . Do you consent to this?’

‘No, I don’t.’ That’s too rude nah.

‘I didn’t give up my name so yeah, I don’t.’ Lily would feel worse.

‘I’m sorry, but I don’t.’ Right. Perfect.

I just hope my brain and mouth sync perfectly as well.

“Theresa Young?” I look up to my name to find an awaiting Ms. Xavier with a defeated look and Lily sighs quietly beside me. I stand up slowly as all eyes turn to look at me and my mind boggles with pictures of the past.

“I can’t believe you of all people would do this Theresa .”

“You were supposed to be the representative, you were supposed to do this.”

“Everyone trusted you. I trusted you. I’m ashamed of you.”

“It was the most important event of our school and the representative chooses not to make an appearance? Do you have any idea how humiliating it was?”

“You really skipped this? For a boy? Who even are you, Tessa?”

“You don’t deserve the position, the authority. Because you can’t handle it, Tessa.”

“Theresa ? Do you consent?” I blink rapidly and take a quick glance around the room.

Sofia is smirking at me and Trevor has his arms folded across his chest with a steady expression.

Just try to be alright.