HOME

I let out a clipped smile before sliding away from his hold.

“I’ll just get some water. I’ll be back.”

I walk around up to the drinks table and down two glasses of water. After making sure they are indeed water. What the hell is wrong with me?

Everything’s sorted. Hardin’s happy. I’m happy. We both enjoyed. Why do I have to remembe-

My phone goes off and I fish it out of my pocket to find an unknown number calling. I groan annoy- wait, is it Collins? I pick up hurriedly.

“Hello?”

“Tessa, is that you?” I hear a woman’s voice. Not Collins then.

“Yes, this is she.”

“I’m Eva calling. I found your number in Trevor’s phone. You had 10 missed calls from yesterday. He forgot it here when he left the night before.”

Wait. Trevor didn’t have his cell phone with him? At least that explains why he didn’t take my calls.

And what does she mean the night before. Trevor said he went home.

Fudge. All colour drains from my face. Where is he?

*

“You know I am so glad that Trevor’s is finally letting people in.”

“Trevor’s not there?”

“No, he’s up at the bonfire with you people, right?”

I go still. And dead silent. A worry grips me and I don’t know what to think.

“Yeah. Totally. He’s right here. I didn’t see him, until now.”

“Thank you so much for looking out for him, darling. Trevor has always been such a troubled kid. And now I can see him finally living. And I’m sure you’re the welcome cause of it.”

Troubled? Trevor has been troubled?

My mind is fleeting with questions but the most important thing right now is to find him.

“Eva, it was lovely to talk to you, but can I just call you later. I, I need to do something.”

“Oh sure, darling. Absolutely.”

I hang up and look around worriedly. I sweep my eyes through the crowd carefully. Perhaps Trevor had changed his mind. Maybe he is here after all.

I move around, shuffling through people trying to locate his brown hair, but no. He’s not here Tessa. And he’s not at home. Where the hell cou-

My eyes widen in realisation and I run back around full speed, crossing everyone and into the college building.

I pace up the stairs hurriedly and reach the back door he had shown me. I try to open it. Locked.

I look around helplessly. No one visits this side of the building, I knew.

But it looks even scarier, now that it is night and I am alone. I fish into my pockets to take out my phone for the flashlight but I find something else instead. Wha-

And then I remember.

“Give me something here, Lil.”