LONE SWALLOW

“We have an event starting, Hardin. And so is an upcoming game. And it’s more than you and me. So stop this.” Trevor says, perfectly calm, straightening his collar a bit, and with a look at me, walks off.

Hardin sighs deeply. And I feel like I’m sitting on a time bomb. A time bomb that’s Hardin. Who is going to burst any time now. He turns around, looking at me and his eyes are red with anger.

“How could yo-“

“The dean asked us to Hardin. It’s just a dance.” I hold his neck and tell him gently, hoping he understands. I look at the time, five minutes to start.

“I have to go. Just relax. Please.” I hold his face in my hands and press my lips on him lightly, and he seemingly relaxes a bit.

“Tell me you’re mine. Please.” He presses his forehead against mine, both of our eyes closed.

“I am.” I whisper lightly and turn around to leave after a minute.

I am. All of me belongs to him. And I love him. That’s all I need to know. And he does too.

*

“I’m really sorry. It’s not how things were supposed to be.” I say softly, as Trevor and I stand beside the podium, looking straight ahead and Dean Brandon gives his speech after our addressing.

“They never are.”

“I meant to tell him earlier but he-“

“Tessa. It’s done. Relax about it.” I take a deep breath. How long is this going to go on for?

Hardin and Trevor. And me stringing between.

“If you’re done with the overworking your brains, shall we?” I watch him, forward his hand towards me and I look at it. Open and inviting. I notice others joining the space, dancing slowly as music descends.

“Chairpersons should, plus it does raise money. And I don’t bite.” I realise he’s been waiting too long because of my mind drifting away and I immediately put my hand into his.

The warm touch and the soft feel of his hand travels up to my insides, only to reach my conscience.

He leads us graciously to the floor and twirls me in, placing his other hand on my waist. I gasp and rest my hand softly on his shoulder, his fragrance once again enveloping me.

“Another pair, from St. Stephen’s, with us, chairpersons, Trevor Matthews and Theresa Young .”

Applause breaks out as Ms. Xavier, the MC for today, announces among other names. I blush silently, hearing our names together, that sounded better than they should have.

Strings of Bad Romance, starts playing, through violins and pianos and I smile to myself. I should have expected Gaga.

Trevor and I move smoothly and the music just completes the moment, more than it already is. He rolls me outwards, then back towards himself, my back against his front.

My breath hitches, as he is suddenly too close and I am caged between our joined hands around my stomach.

“Hardin. I, I can’t salsa.”

“Just go with it.”