BROWNIE POINTS

This, is an insane gesture. I laugh out lightly and my eyes well up with sudden unwanted moisture that I hold back.

Hardin Scott is indeed an A class bastard, but he could be a real sweetheart when he wanted to. And right now, he is one. He feels just like the Hardin I had known him as, in our last years together. I look up to his eyes, who have been watching me intently.

“Hardin, this i-“

“Date me.”

“What?”

“Date me.”

“Har-“

“Please?”

Heart failure. Lungs knocked out of air. Total body dysfunction. Existential damage.

How do you resist that? Hardin Scott saying please? To fudging date you! He doesn’t date. He has never.

I try to form an appropriate reply, but when I can’t, he speaks again.

“I want you to date me, I want to date you.”

“Hardin are you sober yet?” He sighs lightly.

“Tessa, I know I’ve done some ridiculously horrible things, and you had deserved nothing of that. But please, please can you put the past behind? Start over.” I gulp back my tears.

The boy had never apologized to me, to anyone rather. But he does, first in the infirmary, then in his house, now here. And then he goes on to do this.

All I’ve ever wanted is this. This is the dream, Hardin had been.

But I can’t help feel an involuntary protectiveness for myself this time. Because I don’t want to return to square one.

My head is literally exploding with neurons firing.

“I know it’s a lot. And you have your reasons for rethinking. I know I can be a bit-“ He pauses, searching for a term.

“Yeah.” I say quietly and he chuckles.

“Yeah. But just consider it, please. I, I really want this. And – I want this with you.” He stands up leans into my face, plastering a quick kiss on my cheek before walking off and I stare into his back.

“Who is that guy and what have you done with Hardin Scott?” I hear Lily’s voice beside me and I look down back at the piece of his heart Hardin had just left me with.

My eyes water and I hold back a sob. What do I do now?

*

I walk up to Lily’s car with the keys in one hand and Hardin’s box in another. I really don’t think I can actually eat it. I think I’ll just be gawking at it all day, and all night.

I’m gonna frame it as a photograph.

How do you frame boxes in a photograph, why are you such a genius?

Okay you’re MY subconscious. You’re supposed to take MY side.

I’m almost too happy that Lily’s staying yet again with Steve. I could really do with some alone time. I open the door of the car when I suddenly jump around hearing a voice. And my mood drops.