ROARING FLAMES

My phone goes off and I hold it up to see Lily calling. I pause my studying and pick it up, music blaring through the other side.

“Hey, where are you Young?” She yells over the music and I wonder where she is.

“Uh, home. Why?”

“It’s bonfire night, you bitch. Get your ass down here.” I look up at the clock, it says seven. Seven!

I’ve been at this too long. I didn’t even realise the time. My head has been distracted, but its still overcrowded with confusion.

“Yeah Lily I don’t know, you have fun.”

“Shut up. You’re coming. And plus Hardin asked about you. Thrice.”

I go silent. He did? Is he really serious about this whole thing? I know it’s bonfire night, and that is precisely why I don’t want to go out today. I need to think about Hardin’s words and then Trevor, and Axel and all.

“Everyone’s here Tessa. Besides you. And of course your blue eyed golden boy.”

“Trevor’s not there?”

“No. He told Hardin he was going home.”

Trevor is scaring me now. I don’t know what’s up with him. Or maybe bonfires weren’t his thing.

Bonfires are everyone’s thing. My subconscious speaks up. It’s true though. Unless you have pyrophobia. There’s nothing sexier than a bonfire on a chilly night, with friends you love.

“Tessa, what’s happening?” Lily has moved to a quieter place now.

“I don’t know, Lil.”

We both stay silent for a few minutes. She knows I have a lot on my head, and I just don’t know how to explain it to her. To anyone, really. And I can’t lie to my best friend.

“Tessa, I’ve never seen Hardin like this before. Ever since the elections, he hasn’t been with a single girl. He doesn’t do apologies, or romantic. And yet he did both today – all for you. What are you thinking?” I swallow the lump in my throat. What’s happening with me?

Is it about Trevor? Is that why I’ve not agreed to Hardin’s offer?

“I know it’s about Trevor. Has he said he likes you?” I take a minute before answering. The question takes me by shock. If he had, would I have taken so much time to answer him as I’m taking with Hardin?

“No.”

“Have you said that you like him?”

“No.”

It’s true, none of us have. Because I never really thought about saying it. I wasn’t even sure of feeling it, even though there was an undeniable pull.

But then all those laughs, those moments, the hug after Dan’s incident, the helping me out with the east wing, the moment in the library, the tower, the deep literature, beating up Axel… that look.

Was it all just the regular friendship package? Trevor would have done that for anyone? But then again, he was Trevor Matthews .

And he would have no shortage of choices as well. Why would he even look at me.

“Then Tessa, listen to Shawn and let nothing hold you back. Ever since I’ve remembered, you had always wanted Hardin. And now you’re getting him, everyone does not have this. This is what you wanted so bad Tessa, and now that it’s here, please don’t blow this off.”