MEMORY LANE

“Okay, that was quite an engaging… uh, discussion, I would say. Anyone else who would like to present their views?” I am silently looking at my hands in my lap as I sense the room relaxing. All eyes and ears had been glued to us, seemingly dispersed now. No one else seems interested in speaking up and I am gratefu-

“Miss Richman – Surprising – Yes?” Good gracious. I try my best to hide my scowl as I brace myself to hear the prized opinion of the epitome of happiness. I need to recheck those prices of sarcasm on eBay.

“I think tha-“ The high pitched voice is immediately cut off by the sound of the bell, signalling to the end of the track and much fortunately, my rescue. A small relieved laugh threatens to escape my lips but I manage to supress it.

“Okay, we’ve unfortunately run out of time. Sorry, Miss Richman, perhaps another time. We start with emotions tomorrow, I don’t want anyone late. Class dismissed.”

“You were on fire, Tessa , literally. And the look on Hardin’s face! Wow.” I smile a small, sad smile to her as I watch him leaving, casually conversing with Trevor. Everyone leaves while Ms. Xavier scribbles a few things on her journal. I pick up my things and am about to leave, when she suddenly interrupts me.

“I see what the talk is all about, Miss Young .” She speaks up with a friendly smile and I wonder if there’s trouble here.

“I am sorry if I was out of line, professor. I just-“

“Never be sorry for expressing, Theresa, except for when it hurts someone. They are but strong who have courage enough to express. I enjoyed my class today.” I feel her words resonating within me as I pass a small, shy smile to her.

“Likewise, Ms. Xavier. Thank you.” I stand silently in the empty hall as I contemplate her words. Should I be sorry, when the one being hurt by expression is my own self, Professor? I sigh.

*

“She really said that? Tessa , that’s great! You do know Ms. Xavier is teachers’ representative, right? She likes you, which most probably wins you the teachers’ votes.” Lily squeals in excitement and people pass us looks as we walk through the hallway towards the lockers.

“Calm down, Lil. It was just a small conversation and it’s not going to affect elections, in any way, considering – I’m not going to contest, in the first place.” I punch in my code and open my locker, keeping my books inside as Lily gives me a horrid look.

“What, but the posters, and Daniel wants you to, and I want you to. You’re just perfe-“

“The posters are nothing, Lily. You know that. And I’m not going to contest, okay?” I look down to my schedule to see my next class and I freeze momentarily as I read music. Damn. I did not check this. Celia must have added it to my list of subject preferences. But I can’t. I can’t take music. That too with him, whom I know will be there. Not music. Anything but music.

“But then Tessa -“

“Listen, I got class. I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Wait, which class? I’ve got calculus. God!”

“Literature.” I walk away silently, my head down and not knowing where I was going.

Lily doesn’t know and when she does, I won’t have an explanation for her, which is why I don’t tell her that I had music, which I won’t attend. I find myself walking up to the cafeteria and I decide to take some coffee, maybe spend the time here, as a free period. I casually chuckle with guilt, wondering hwat Celia would have to say about my bunking my class. Well, if it would have been Math, she would have probably sent me a virtual fist bump with a ‘You go, girl’ chant in the background.