PATIENCE'S A PAIN

The music ceases suddenly and Josh suddenly comes up to us yelling loudly.

“Oh come on, come on, party’s not a party yet, people! You’ve gotta own that guit-taaar Scott!”

Loud cheers break out all over and I laugh out, looking around. Hardin closes his eyes in knowing fake annoyance, with a huge grin on his face.

“Come on dude! Give us something here!”

The cheers turn louder and he looks up back at me, deep and smiling, before standing up and taking the guitar from Josh.

I shout out as well, rooting for him. It’s been so long since I last heard him sing. He puts the strap around his neck and pin drop silence descends, as he starts plucking.

I cross my arms, and rest them on my knees, smiling in anticipation. And then I hear his voice.

“Wise men say

Only fools rush in

But I can’t help falling in love with you”

I go still and my smile leaves me immediately. He’s singing Falling in Love.

My heart pounds against my chest as everything comes crashing down to me, every memory, every moment that I had savoured.

It was one of the first songs I had picked up on guitar myself. The first ever song Hardin and I had performed together back in school. It was what had brought us together, closer.

It was when I had known… in the first place.

That I loved Hardin Scott. It was what I had sang to him when he-

“You seriously thought that singing a song for me, would really get you the deal?”

He walks up to me as I stand horrified and broken. He pulls my cheek lightly, in mockery and smirks.

“Grow up, Young.”

My eyes prick with unshed tears as he continues to strum and sing, walking a few casual steps around.

“Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin

If I can’t help falling in love with you?”

He stands facing me, looking at me with the sincerest of eyes and the most honest of expressions and I sniff lightly as a single tear trickles down. He smiles slowly, and raises an eyebrow with happy mischief.

He couldn’t have chosen a better song for tonight. And him, asking me to stay, when he knows I’ve been dying for exactly that, is my undoing.

This is his way, this is our way. Music has always been our words. And I know it’s not just a song, it’s everything Hardin wants to say to me, everything I know he doesn’t know how to.

“Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be”

He stares into me straight, and headstrong. And his eyes are the darkest of brown I’ve ever seen. His face glows lightly with the light of the fire and I melt away with every passing lyric.