APOLOGY HAS AN EASY SPELLING

“Uh- I just- I wasn’t expecting that you would remember that.”

“And I wasn’t sure that you really still did this, which you just confirmed by saying that, so thank you.”I blush embarrassingly with a small smile. He leaves no chance to tease me. Bloody tart. I nervously crack my knuckles looking anywhere but hi-

“Tessa. Your hand-“ He speaks up with so much force, it comes out as a sudden blow in the silence. I look down at my hands, where his bloodstains are still visible, though dried up now.

“- Wait was that when – did I hurt you?” His voice turns into a painfully slow whisper and he looks at me with regret and shock written all over the face.

“Uh no, it’s your blood. So no, you didn’t.”His eyes soften, and he looks greatly relieved. I smile lightly at the gesture. Display of emotions, from Hardin has always been the best thing ever. Positive emotions, that is. When and if.

“For once.” I say, smirking lightly. He narrows his eyes amused and leans his back on the railing while crossing his arms over his chest.

“Miss Young, was that supposed to be sarcastic?”

“No, Mr. Scott, that was supposed to be offensive.”

“Well, all taken.”

“Was all intended.”

The night has been dead long and now surprisingly calm.

And I know it’s because of Hardin. Because of him believing in me, because of him talking to me, because of him making me smile when I don’t want to.

Because of him, simply being here. It’s a beautiful moment in time.

I would give anything, for this to continue to be. For us to be this, and this to be our reality. Where I don’t have to live every minute not knowing when Hardin would hurt me next. Where I will still have this Hardin in the morning, when we won’t have the safety of being alone.

Where we are just two people, who know each other so well. Who bring out the best in them, instead of wanting to slash out each other’s throats every time the other speaks.

Who make them, want to be become better, for each other. Who make each other happy. But it’s not. And I don’t want to return to what it is.

“It’s late. I should go.”

“Don’t expect me to stop you.”

“I don’t.”

“And don’t expect me to give you a ride back home either. You can do on your own. From what I saw, and I saw plenty, your earlier more than one acts of violence should keep you just fine.”

He chuckles and his smile literally takes my heart away. It’s a waste of male beauty. Or maybe, not that a waste after all.

“By violence, I think you mean defence.”

“By violence, I think I mean violence.” I shake my head and turn around to walk away. I take a few steps when Hardin’s grip on my wrist halts me midway. I turn to look at our hands and fight back a rush that overtakes me.

“I thought I wasn’t supposed to expect you to stop me?” I breathe out in a quiet, amused whisper.

He walks up to me shuffling his hand in his pocket and I think for the first time I see nervousness adorning Hardin Scott. Which is nevertheless just as adorable. I suppress a giggle.