DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES

My smile falters momentarily and brown eyes flash before me like a thunderstorm. What am I doing?

I’m about to retort as he takes the phone from me using his other free hand and taps the tip of my nose in mockery. I rub it immediately, fighting an irritation when ultimately I lose. I sneeze violently with a shrill noise and Trevor laughs out.

“Shut u-“

I’m stopped midway with yet another sneeze and I sniff heavily after I’m sure there are no more to come.

“Are you going to sneeze through all the photographs, I need a smile Young, or better yet-“

I sense a warning edge to his voice and scoot further from him when suddenly his fingers tickle me uncontrollably at the abdomen and I land back onto his chest with a thud, laughing my eyes out.

“Trevor! St-op it! Oka-y, okay. Don-e!” I speak out indistinctly through fits of laughter and wipe a tear when he stops.

I sigh heavily and look at him dangerously before moving my fingers over to his neck to tickle him! Ha revenge, best served cold.

But just like my cooking, it is an absolute failure.

He sits unfazed with a triumphant smile.

“I don’t feel ticklish. Now do you want to take that picture or not?”

I make up an irritated disgusted face at him before flashing my best smile for the photograph which he clicks.

This has got be one of the best nights.

We’ve been sitting, possibly for the last half an hour, silently drinking in the view.

I’m facing the window directly, leaned against Trevor’s front as he has both his legs on either side of me, arms interlocked around my neck. He has one of his legs half folded with his knee up and I have my hands knotted in my lap.

There’s a palpable passion lingering in the intimacy with the strange comfort of it feeling almost natural.

And just like that, I think what Hardin must be doing right now. Where he’d be, who he’d be with. And how I’ll never, have something like this with him. Because he’ll never want us to. I wonder if he’ll ever want this, with anyone, nevertheless.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Trevor breaks the silence with his voice and I smile goofily as I decide to play a little. After all, I don’t really want him to know him to know about Hardin. One Lily is enough.

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” Trevor chuckles behind me and I smile widely.

“John Green.” I say out proudly remembering how I had read the book, one of my favourites, over and over, sometimes all night long.

“I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” I look up to him, confused, impressed, and amused all at once.

“Sarah Williams.” It was his turn to be proud now. I look back to the view in front of me.

“No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be. Bram Stoker.” I say, looking out front. This is why literature had my heart. It always said the things I didn’t know how to, in the first place. No judgements.