POSITIVE OPIOIDS

I take my extra large chocolate smoothie with a blueberry muffin, carefully placed into my tray and turn around to catch a table when a force hits into me headstrong-

“Jesus, Lily! Stop ghosting around!” I brace myself and somehow manage to save my food.

“Are you hurt? God Del, are you okay or are you not okay?”

“I am but you won’t be if you make me spill my smoothie.” I walk past her onto the nearest vacant table and she runs back to sit beside me.

“I just heard this crazy thing about Dan Evans breaking in and – is it true?”

I take a huge bite of my muffin relishing the feel of it and my voice comes out in muffles in between all the munching.

“No, of course not. It was a practice essay during English class and we though it’d be fun to leak it as a rumour to see if its good enough.”

This is just amazing. I’m gonna die of diabetes I’m sure. I pause my chewing momentarily to look at a suspicious Lily narrowing her eyes stupidly.

I crush down a tissue into a ball and throw it straight on her head!

“Remind me to set you up for therapy Lily, you’ve gone unbelievably dense! Of course, it’s all true, God!” Lily snaps out due to the hit and gets her somewhat normal mode back online.

“Stop eating it all alone, you piranha!” She pulls the tray to her side taking a huge bite of the muffin while I sip through the smoothie.

“Use the tissue, no crumbles on the tray, please. Not to mention you’re super late too.”

I shake my cup playfully to hear the crushed ice making that noise I can’t describe. And I get some weird  pleasure out of it that I can’t describe either.

“Oh, I was in try-outs. And, I come back and I hear this thing, I ran as fast as my fat accumulated legs could allow.”

“Lily, your legs have no accumulated fat.”

“They do! I have this great amazing mermaid figure starting from my head all down to my waist and then I go down to have balloon thighs! Have you seen me from behind? I don’t like my legs, I want a replacement.”

I laugh out with a cracking sound of a dying pig that happens sometimes when you laugh too violently through your throat. God, I’m too descriptive.

“How was try-outs though? Did he get through?”

“What Ste-, yeah, of course, he got through! And he was so amazing I’m telling you. He was all sweaty and running an- uh how are you, by the way?”

She stops her rambling midway with a nervous guilty expression towards the end.

“Oh no, please don’t let any trespassing, violence or me getting involved in some unnecessary brawl keep you from gushing about a guy.”

“Okay, I’m going to ignore the sarcastic tone to that sentence because it sucked and yet filled me with guilt. Give me details. Shoot.”

I narrate everything to Lily up to the minutest of details and at the end of it all this is what she managed to grasp-