FIELD DAY

Hardin’s voice interrupts us like a blazing siren and he places one arm on my waist pulling me with himself taking both of us to a side. I don’t even get the chance to say anything.

“Hardin, what do you think you’re doing?” I ask him ferociously after shaking his hands off me.

“Chatting with Axel Cordon, seriously? What were you doing?” I squint my eyes confused and partly irritated.

“You’re making it sound like it’s such a disgusting thing. I can talk to anyone, what’s so wrong about that?”

Hardin rolls his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose in annoyance. His vein pops out on his forehead, as always when he’s angry. I continue to hold my stance. He looks like he’s on a fine line, and he’s going to tick off any minute now.

“Tessa, he is not someone you’ll want to get involved with. Work is done, let me just drop yo-“

“No, you know what Hardin? I’ll manage. I think I can tell who I want to get involved with myself.” I don’t stop to hear his reply and pace off into the crowd.

Honestly what is up with both of these boys? Why are they treating me like a kid suddenly?

“Hey, Axel. Sorry about what happe- you’re going somewhere?” He fishes out his keys and stops when he hears my voice.

“Oh, don’t worry about that. And yes, I was just going to hit town, places.”

Chatting with Axel Cordon, seriously? What were you doing?

I’m well aware you don’t which is why you got to listen sometimes when I tell you something.

I’m done being treated like a child. I make my own decisions here.

“You wouldn’t, by any chance, be crossing Lexington Apartment, would you?” I pass on a small smile and he looks surprised for a second.

“I’m sure a little diversion wouldn’t be much trouble.”

“Perfect.”

*

“So. You’re on the cheerleading team?”

Axel and I walk back to the parking lot and I hold Trevor’s hoodie tighter around me due to the chill, my leg almost frozen by now. For God’s sake, I’m wearing fudging shorts.

“Uh, no. Actually, I’m on the Students’ Council.”

“Oh wonderful. Which school?”

“Stephen’s.”

“Wow! So you happen to be my host, okay. What position?” He laughs casually.

“Chairperson.”

He stops midway looking at me before walking again.

“You’re the chair? Alongside Trevor?” He knows Trevor?

“Is that so hard to believe?” Honestly.

“No I didn’t mean it like that, it’s just it would seem that Stephen’s finally managed to make fair choices.” Right. The common answer. I’ve become used to it by now. It makes me wonder who the previous selects had been. How, rather.