HISTORY OR CHEMISTRY

“Hey, you still here?” I blink my eyelids rapidly to be brought back into the now by Trevor, waving his hand before me.

“Uh, yeah. Sorry, I kind of uh-drifted.”

“Lily?”

Indeed. Lily and I had really fallen out bad. She had slammed her door on my face, and left this morning, before I could even wake up. All through the way, I had been thinking of every word that I should not have said, as I sat bursting my knuckles in the cab.

I don’t think she’ll even be willing to talk any time soon.

“Yeah.” I whisper and Trevor silently nods at me.

I take a bite of my chocolate cookie, just when I sense someone settling beside me, and I know who it is, before even turning.

“Morning people. Mind if interrupt the date?”

“You already did-“ “It’s not a date rea-“ I notice Hardin’s jaw tighten as Trevor raises an eyebrow at me.

“I meant, the-uh, interrupting part.” I blush too hard and look down immediately.

I’ve been trying to avoid Trevor after yesterday night, too paranoid about these new, uh, creatures that fly and sparkle, you know.

Butterflies?

Yes, thank you, conscience. And fudge you, conscience. But I didn’t want to use that word really.

They don’t sparkle.

Can you please shut up? Thank you.

“Yeah well, too bad your opinion didn’t quite take the intended importance.” I roll my eyes in irritation. Perfect. Just what the situation needed. Hardin.

He takes a seat beside Trevor, and I look up to find my eyes drifting towards him.

Hardin looks too good for my liking, okay not exactly for my ‘liking’ but definitely something along the lines of ‘thinking clearly’.

Dressed in a clean, grey V-neck, paired with the dark blue denims, he is radiating off a whiff of cologne and bodywash, probably fresh from the shower. The face is the regular. Handsome and tempting.

I turn my head slightly to find Trevor looking at him with an amused expression.

I look down to my food when an irritating foot tap distracts me. And I look up to find Hardin with a smirk. I glare at him and his smirk only gets bigger.

“Well well, seems I just made your day, didn’t I?” The raspy voice and the cocky grin breaks my stance.

“Please – don’t flatter yourself.”

“You mean to say, that you’re going to deny, straight on my face, your adorable gazing at my irresistible handsomeness?”

“Irresistible handsomeness, give me a break. And ‘gazing’. GAZING? Why would you even use that word? You could have passed with ‘staring’.”

“Just softening the blow for you. Trying to make it sound a little less creepy. And by the way I’m totally not pointing out the fact that by denying of having been gazing, you actual confirmed your ‘staring’.”

“What? No, I was not staring, either. I was just-uh, looking.”

“Thank you. For not having denying at least that.” I groan in frustration as he begins to get on my nerves.