Chapter 40

—————–———————————————
Airi's POV
—————–———————————————

The hours following Kagei's sudden announcement were utter hell. I couldn't get a single minute to myself.

I was swarmed with questions from the villagers, asking if they'd be safe, if the No-Names were truly back.

With confirmation from the Captain, I had to reluctantly answer all of the questions truthfully, so it's only a matter of time until the entire country knows.

We also had to deal with the families who had lost people during the mana extractions.

It seems the casualties barely passed 70 people in total, as The Cardinal had started it before we had even begun travelling.

Each person who had come up to me, tears in their eyes, wondering if a member of their family had been a victim left a scar on my heart.

I don't think it was guilt. More grief for not being able to do my job properly, of not protecting the Kingdom's people.

Making the graves for the bodies we saw was a good idea, as it allowed the mourning people a place to pray and send their farewells to the ones they lost, even if they weren't buried there.

But I had finally gotten a break from the crowds no less than 4 hours after the incident at the pier.

It seems that the Captain and Kana had burnt the bodies of the members of The Cardinal whilst we were talking to Ryu, just in case they had become undead.

However, speaking of Ryu, since he wandered off at the pier, none of us had seen him.

Sure, he doesn't look like a knight, so he wouldn't have crowds forming around him, but it's still an unusual sight to see a 12 year old walking around with a sword, no matter the town you're in.

So, after asking around for a bit, I finally caught hold of some rumours circulating already, of a boy who seems to be guarding the town alone.

However, none of these rumours had a basis, and they all seemed to see him at complete opposite ends of Alzibria, so I couldn't really do anything.

We also had to make an announcement to the whole town, so we spread the message of a speech happening in the town center at dusk.

—————–———————————————

Looking around, there were several hundred people gathered, whether it be in the square area of the town centre, from outside simply listening, or in the houses surrounding us.

It honestly made me feel quite nervous, and comparing it to battle, I'd say battle feels more comfortable.

For us, right now we are standing in the dead center of the area, the main focus of attention for the towns people.

Despite them talking in hushed voices, the noise was incredible, but it was silenced immediately by a single clap from Captain.

"Now, people of Alzibria, as the representative for the Kingdom of Reichtum, we sincerely apologise,"

As he speaks, the Captain and the rest of us bow our heads.