Chapter 63

—————–———————————————
Astrid's POV
—————–———————————————

I quickly give Ryu the basis of the political situation in Reichtum currently.

"But Marquis Lovenhood is particularly famous, since he started building banks across the Kingdom, which in turn, gave him a lot of power over the economy." (Astrid)

"Why doesn't the King do anything?" (Ryu)

"How could he? One single wrong move from the King, and the Marquis could cut off the money flow, and while that would make us unable to trade with other countries, it would also incite a riot." (Astrid)

"... Because they'd blame the King for forcing the Marquis' hand..." (Ryu)

"Exactly. But, of course, that only applies if the King's action was drastic enough, which gives him a certain amount of freedom." (Astrid)

"So he's not stupid." (Ryu)

"No, he's quite smart, actually. And cunning." (Astrid)

"A typical noble." (Ryu)

"I suppose." (Astrid)

"... Well, enough of this. Ryu, rest so Astrid can finish healing you. Astrid, come with me, we need to discuss what to so next." (Captain)

I follow Captain out the door, only looking back to see Ryu holding his hand against his head.

Not paying mind to it, I walk out the door and continue following, and he leads me to a room on the far side of the building we are in.

It wasn't anything majestic, it was similar to the barracks we have for normal knights, but for on-site Royal Knights and Royal Guards.

The King allowed us to use it since Ryu got hurt protecting him, but also insisted on something extra too, though I don't know what it is.

Suddenly, my train of thought gets cut short as I nearly bump into Captain's back as he stops in front of a door.

"Hmm. There's an extra person in there." (Captain)

"...? An extra person?" (Astrid)

"There's Kana, Etsu and Airi, plus another..." (Captain)

"Hmm? Would it be--" (Astrid)

Captain cuts me off by simply opening the door and walking inside.

"Ahh, you're here!" (Subaru)

"Your Highness." (Captain)

He bows soon after opening the door.

"Call me Subaru, Doujima." (Subaru)

"That puts me in a tricky spot." (Captain)

"I know, that's why I'm saying it." (Subaru)

The Crown Prince replies with a large grin on his face, obviously trying to joke with Captain.

"... Fine. Subaru, what happened?" (Captain)

"I've already told you, I used the assassins to make a fake assassination to use as a recommendation. They were bought out by someone else." (Subaru)

"Then what kind of assassin would take someone else's side over a Prince if they're doing it for the money?" (Captain)

"That's..." (Subaru)

"... Doesn't that just mean they aren't doing it for the money?" (Kana)

"Then what for? The Second Prince already forfeited his right to the throne." (Etsu)