Chapter 71

—————–———————————————
Etsu's POV
—————–———————————————

There aren't many places to send a letter from in Richt. There're maybe 3 or 4 delivery services in the Kingdom, and most only have a round 1 or 2 offices in each city.

The worst part? All the offices are placed far apart from each other, so as to not have competitions over customers.

This means that my entire day will be spent trekking across the city, all in search for a single letter Ryu sent.

Of course, this also means I can have myself a little break from the amount of work Captain has been setting me these past few months.

But for now, I need to focus on finding Ryu's letter.

It hasn't been long since I left the Palace, but I'm not too far from the edge of the city, so I suppose I'll go to the closest one right now, that being in the Market Area.

It is also probably the most likely one for Ryu to have gone to, since, from what we know atleast, he isn't very proficient in spirit magic, meaning he couldn't have maintained it for long.

The only issue is... There's a chance that the letter has already been sent to be delivered, which means that we won't be able to find it unless I leave Richt, which isn't a good idea in the middle of an assassination plot.

Well, for now, I'm not too involved in the plot, so I do have some freedom to do what I must for what I was told to do, but that can only be stretched so thin.

But for now, I'll just have to put my hopes in my intuition, thinking that the Market Area would be the one to go to.

I walk for nearly half an hour, crossing through alleys, walking down streets until I find the delivery service office.

It was a simple building, not very distinguishable from any other in the surroundings. It had windows that allowed a small view inside, and a single lantern that hung above the door, along with a sign.

Inside, another door could be seen on the far end, opening up to an exit that the employees used to have a quick route to the horses.

It was quite a plain room, with not much furniture, nor artwork or anything to keep the eyes entertained. The walls were a dull brownish grey, and a few lanterns hung around from the walls, unlit during the day.

There was a single reception desk to the right as you enter, with a female elf sitting behind it, scribbling across a piece of parchment.

"Excuse me?" (Etsu)

"Hmm? How can I help you?" (Elf)

"I'm just wondering if a boy, maybe around 11 to 12 years old, black hair, came by to give a letter last night?" (Etsu)

"Last night? I'm sorry, but I wasn't on shift last night, but if you want to know who was, I can give you the address of where you'd likely find them." (Elf)

"Oh, please do." (Etsu)

In response, she puts the pen she held in her hand down, reaches over the desk and pulls out a smaller piece of parchment, to which she writes down an address.

"If you go there and ask for Marianne, you might be able to find what you're looking for." (Elf)

"Thank you." (Etsu)

I respond with courtesies, and leave quickly, not wanting to waste time.

From what I remember of the streets of the city the address I was given wasn't too far from the office, so I make haste towards it, arriving in a few minutes.

It wasn't a particularly good place. The building itself was built from rotting wood, and it's surroundings were piled with trash and dirt.

You could smell the alcohol from outside, as well as the mixture of men and female laughter.

It was a brothel. Anyone with a sane mind could figure that out.

It had no windows peeking inside, and there was no sign post above that would indicate it as a place of 'service'.

I ready myself mentally before stepping inside, the smell of perfume hitting me before the alcohol, and the noise of the people inside nearly overwhelming my ears.

It looked much like a tavern in the first floor, where I entered from, with several tables placed around the floor, each with several stools stuck around them.

At the far end was a simple bar, obviously not made from an expensive wood, and behind it was several bottles of wine, beer and any other drink you could think of.

The one serving the drinks, the master of the establishment, was a middle aged man, maybe around 50 or 60 years old, with white hair and a short, but well trimmed, beard.

"So, do you have anyone here named 'Marianne'?" (Etsu)

I lean forward on the bar table, asking the master.

"... Who's asking?" (Master)

"Just someone who wants to ask a question of her work." (Etsu)

"... One second." (Master)

He disappears behind a curtain that was hung over a doorway just to the left of the cabinet that held the bottles, before coming out and waving towards me.

Taking it as approval, I walk around the bar and through the hole, entering a much more subdued room, though still very much an unclean place.

Several tables were pushed against the walls, each with mirrors on them. They were beauty parlours, though very small.

Many women, and some men, sat around the tables, all inspecting their face so as to make sure it was perfect for their customers.

The master doesn't say a word and instead points towards the far side of the room, where a small, brown-haired woman sat, brushing the side of her face.

"Are you Marianne?" (Etsu)

"I am." (Marianne)

"I need to speak with you." (Etsu)

She smirks slightly as I speak.

"Sorry, but you'll need to make an appointment for that." (Marianne)

"Is that so?" (Etsu)

I take out a small pouch from behind me, holding several silver inside.

"Then I'm sure I'll be recognised as a VIP of I gave you these, right?" (Etsu)

"... You sure know how to make a woman happy." (Marianne)

She stands up quickly, pocketing the pouch and leads me towards another room, this in empty.

"So? What is it?" (Marianne)

—————–———————————————
Author Notes
—————–———————————————

This chapter was hard to write. I didn't fully know where I wanted to take it up until I started the description of the delivery office.

When I started describing it, my brain went into overdrive or something and ideas just started spewing into me, and this happened.

I'm not sure how this will correlate, or how any of this will actually be useful, but I have some suggestions.

But anyway, thank you for reading, please continue to do so, and please follow!