Chapter 85

---------------------
Captain's POV
---------------------

My walk to the Baron's estate was uneventful. I was called over a few times by some merchants and a few pickpockets tried their luck but failed.

It wasn't surprising to see the shopkeepers trying to lure potential customers by simply harassing them in towns like these. It comes to a point where they are so desperate to make a living that they forget that other people may also be in the same situation.

And, of course, the large building that stood far away from the main street watched all of this.

It seemed to stand as a reminder of who owned this fief, and also to satiate the Baron's ego so that whenever he entered this place, the most prominent thing would be his own house.

Well, hopefully that won't last for long now, since all I need to do is find the people who have been disappearing and link them to the slave business the Baron is dealing in.

I've already had confirmation from the King that he is involved, all I need now is evidence.

And that evidence will likely be found in that estate.

Well, hopefully. If not then I have to atleast hope that there's something there.

Even if the fief is smaller than Alzibria, it is much more intricate, and finding areas in town where something as secretive as a human trafficking ring will be is going to be hard.

But I end my thought process as I reach the gates of the estate. The two guards that were standing lazily at the sides of the entrance suddenly snap to attention, crossing their halberds in front of me.

"State your name and reason." (Guard)

"Captain Doujima Vabenheim, member of one of the King's Squads. I'm here on orders of the King." (Captain)

They seem a little startled at my response, and both of them look me up and down.

"... Proof of identification?" (Guard)

I pull out the letter I received from the King and show it to them.

"...! My apologies, Sire, but I am unable to let you enter." (Guard)

"Why?" (Captain)

"The owner is currently in the Capital doing business." (Guard)

"That's why I'm here now. And I'm not sure if you read what I showed you, but I have permission to do as I please, so remove your halberd." (Captain)

"M-My apologies, Sire, but I truly cannot let you pass." (Guard)

The guard who was speaking seemed to be trembling slightly under his armour, yet he still maintained a strong face while in front of me.

"I'm sure you understand as a knight what I'll do if you refuse my orders." (Captain)

"...! E-Even so!" (Guard)

"Haah... Very well." (Captain)

Of course, I'm not going to just turn away.

Instead, I take a step towards the gate, the halberd now barely an inch away from my face.

"Sire!" (Guard)

I don't respond to him, instead lifting my hand and grasping the two halberds where they crossed each other.