Chapter 51

—————–———————————————
Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

I didn't have a set destination in mind when I walked away from the campfire. I simply just walked.

My body brought me to the line of bodies from the mission.

There wasn't a smell of decay coming from them, nor did they look like they were decomposing, they were simply lying on the grass, seemingly at peace.

It was a strange sight: grasslands as far as the eye could see, not an animal or beast in sight, alongside a line of bodies illuminated by the morning sun.

Of course, no matter how captivating the sight may have seemed, I didn't get lost in it, since I wasn't one for views.

An abnormal chill swings with the wind from the direction of the forest, its strange ecosystem now showing its odd effects outside.

I sit down a few metres away from the bodies, lost in my own head, before realising my hand had unconsciously reached for the charm I had gone back to get.

It was only a simple pendant, too small for me to wear, but too large for me to put on my wrist.

It held a model of a flying dragon in a silvery metal, the one who made it claimed it was mythril, but I don't think so. The craftsmanship was shabby at best, but it was still a good pendant.

It was something like a good luck charm, maybe.

It was a gift from my sister, Akari, while we were still with the No-Names. We had stopped at Vift, a small village far north of the capital, and we had stayed for far too long.

Akari and I had made several trips into town without the bandits knowing and enjoyed ourselves much more than we had while travelling.

On the last day, she had given it to me outside of the village walls as we secretly waved goodbye to the villagers, who had strangely treated us well.

It wasn't something expensive, nor was it something intricate, but it was a gift that I had taken for granted.

"That's quite a thing you've got there." (Airi)

"... It is." (Ryu)

"Who'd you get it from?" (Airi)

"... My sister." (Ryu)

"Hmm? You have a sister?" (Airi)

"I'd've thought Healer would've told you by now." (Ryu)

"Eh? She knows?" (Airi)

"You didn't think anything about what happened 2 nights ago?" (Ryu)

"Ah... Now that you mention it... It is slightly weird that you and Astrid came back at the same time late at night." (Airi)

"Slightly?" (Ryu)

"Ah, well, you see... Astrid really really doesn't like you." (Airi)

"... And?" (Ryu)

"Well, I didn't think anything would happen between you two so..." (Airi)