Chapter 70

—————–———————————————
Astrid's POV
—————–———————————————

I knock on the door before entering the room to see Captain and the Count both leaning forward, obviously deep in conversation.

"Ah, you're back." (Count Poin)

"Sorry for disturbing your conversation." (Astrid)

"It was just ending." (Count Poin)

"I see..." (Astrid)

He leans back as he speaks to me, a sign that he is getting impatient.

"Then, Count, I will see you again." (Captain)

"Think about the offer, will you?" (Count Poin)

"... Sure." (Captain)

Standing up quickly, the Captain walks over to the door where I'm standing and leaves the room, not looking back.

I have to jog slightly to catch up to him as he speeds up down the hallway.

"I found something." (Astrid)

"What is it?" (Captain)

"I'm not sure. It's like a--" (Astrid)

"Actually, not here. Wait until we get to a better spot." (Captain)

He shuts me up quickly and we leave the estate, having to go through the city to reach the Palace.

It's a good city. People smile happily on the streets, merchants make good amounts of money from their sales, children dart between the crowds, playing with sticks as swords.

Shops on the side of the street brandish their latest wares, attempting to pull in customers. Carriages carrying esteemed personage ran down the centre of the road, and the commoners stray far away from it.

Not far from where we were was the living area, where all the houses were. It was clean, quiet; much different to this area, the market place.

You could see the Palace from here, as you could from any spot in the city as a constant reminder of the Royal Family.

Further down was, what was dubbed, the "Adventurer Area". It housed the Adventurer's Guild, a place where adventurers would receive commissions or quests for money and prestige.

It also had the blacksmiths, apothecaries, the inns. It was a place where those who were not going to stay long stayed.

It had a different feel to Alzibria. While Alzibria was calm, quiet, yet loud at points, the city was a constant cloud of noise, yet it felt oddly satisfying. You could feel the lives of the people living here, their happiness.

Of course, there was also the underground of the city. The place where criminals gathered.

It's not surprising. A place of prosperous wealth was an absolute goldmine to those wishing to get quick money.

This was where the assassins and murderers stayed. This was the place where you'd go for someone else to do your dirty deeds.

It's also the place we were worried Ryu would manage to scurry himself into.

Most criminal or bandit groups don't actually have a base here in Richt since the guards here are oddly observant.

They are some of the best guards in the Kingdom. It's natural, I suppose. To have the best of the best guard the most important place.

Of course, even those knights can't compare to the ones in the Palace. They are trained to protect the Royal Family from anyone. Literally anyone.

In the Kingdom, people like the Captain, and the Captain of the Royal Knights, maybe even 'Susu, are incredibly rare. Those three could probably take on most of the Royal Knights and win. Not without injuries, of course.