Chapter 68

—————–———————————————
Sylph's POV
—————–———————————————

Hmm. I've known this for a whole but... My Master is weird.

First of all, it's been about 3 months since she last called me! What am I supposed to do if she doesn't call me? Sulk in the spirit realm? Then she'd be correct, because that is what I'd do!

I'm supposed to be the one helping and protecting my Master, but she forgets about me! She leaves me alone for ages!

Plus, she's an elf, yet she doesn't like the nature! That's the entire reason why she made a contract with me! Just so she didn't have to use her race magic!

I can't understand her. She doesn't make any sense. Her entire personality doesn't fit with her race!

She isn't prideful, all-loving and kind! She's greedy, self-isolated and just not elf-like!

But, of course, I love her anyway, since she's my Master! No one can replace her!

Even if I were to die, she'd still be my Master! Even if she were to do, I'd still be her spirit!

So, I love her, since she let me free into the human world! She let me be alive! She may trap me for months at a time, forget about me for a while or force me to do things she can do herself, but I still love her!

Nobody can replace her!

—————–———————————————
Kana's POV
—————–———————————————

Beings born from nature have odd ways to recognise being alive.

Should they be forced of their own free will to do something, they do not call themselves alive, at least, not while under that influence.

It's why many spirits say that their Masters give them life when they form a contract with them. It frees them from their spirit world, which is apparently like a bird cage.

The contract made between a spirit and a contractor acts as a form of portal between the spirit world and this world. Under the command of a Master, the portal activates and the spirit will pass through, leaving the spirit world.

However, unlike spirits, plants cannot be trapped by normal means. They grow freely in the world, live freely in the world, and die freely in the world. They are not trapped at all.

They might even be the freest of us all.

So what did those plants mean when they said they were trapped?

Even an elf can't trap a plant without being near it. While they do class our [Nature Manipulation] as a form of cage, that is only whole they are under its influence. And as far as I can see, there is not a single soul near the gate.

Which means that something else is trapping it. But, I have no idea what.

But what I do know is that it is next to impossible for any other race aside from the Elves to be able to trap plants, meaning that Duke Boule has the backing of the Elves.

Anything other than that is unknown though. I don't know why he has them, or how.

Of course, I'm not going to find anything out by sitting outside the estate, so I'm going to have to get in.

Just to make sure nothing happens when I'm entering, I activate {Magic Awareness} at its most sensitive.

Personally, I dislike using it, but it is extremely useful for situations like this, especially to check if there is a barrier around.

Luckily for me, there isn't, so I'm able to hop the gate with a short run up, placing me on the outskirts of a courtyard that doesn't look far from an abandoned graveyard.

It was as if nobody had touched it for years.

Withered flowers littered the floor, devoid of colour.

The grass that was supposed to be trimmed was overgrown, covering my ankles.

Bushes blocked paths that led to the main house.

It was completely forgotten. As if there had never been anyone to care for it.

If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have thought anyone would be living here.

As I move closer towards the estate, I spot cracks that run along the side of the building, cobwebs that strung themselves from the pillars, small animal corpses littered along the edges.

The house that should have been a luxurious white, was a dull grey, and the pillars which should have shone brightly in the sun now only displayed a dull colour.

It had been completely neglected.

As I rounded the house to the entrance, I spotted more and more details that made it seem all the more decrepit.

And the door.

The door was completely spotless.

As if it had been protected by some sort of magic barrier, the door held no resemblance to the rest of the house.

It was a clean, bright brown. Minimalistic as it may be, it contrasted greatly with everything else.

So I stepped onto the porch, placing my hand on the handle and entered the house.

It was as if the outside world didn't exist.

Not a single speck of dust could be found in this place. It was impeccable.

Not as grand as the Palace, sure, but it was definitely in its own class when compared to other nobles.

The main lobby was huge, large enough to fit an entire regiment of knights inside without trouble.

A small, simple light hung from the top, yet it displayed a sort of elegance that I couldn't place my finger on.

Stairs led up to the second floor, much like with the Palace, yet they lacked the gold and silver that outlined the Palace stairs, but instead had a red carpet running across them.

The banisters of the stairs were a bright white, not quite marble, but something similar.

It wasn't like a Royal Palace, but it was also not like a traditional noble house. It was simply a house to live in, not to show off.

With my attention completely grasped by the difference between the outside and the inside, I fail to hear the footsteps that came from the top of the stairs on my right.

"Well, it seems we have a visitor..." (???)

—————–———————————————
Author Notes
—————–———————————————

Finally, I finished this chapter.

It was surprisingly hard, since I wanted to end the chapter where I did, but I also couldn't find many ways to continue writing without going straight to the dialogue, so to fix that, I just described basically everything.

I thought it would help understand the type of place this person lives in.

But also! During the time between last chapter and this one, I joined the Mephobia Community as an editor, so go and check them out here: Booksupportforusers!

Anyway, thanks for reading the chapter!