Chapter 67

—————–———————————————
Kana's POV
—————–———————————————

Duke Boule. The current King's youngest brother.

During the previous generation's fight for succession, he wasn't very interested in the throne, which led to him conceding his right to it.

I heard that this made him a commoner for a while after the current King came into power, since he left the Palace soon after the coronation.

I'm not sure how true that rumour is, but something happened between the Duke and the King for the King to have appointed the Duke title to him.

Of course, even the title didn't make him attend the societal parties and balls that were held.

He's seen as a very isolated man, and a ruined noble, since he hasn't taken in a wife during the time he's had his title.

Apparently he hasn't even entertained that thought, nor the thought of adopting a child to be the heir.

It could be trauma, especially since the previous generation's fight for succession was excessively brutal.

The entire thing led to around 10 deaths.

The mother of the second Prince died due to illness, which was later found to be poison given by one of the maids.

The current King's mother, who died by the hands of the second Prince.

The previous King, who died from shock after hearing that two of his concubines had died.

Even more nobles died later on in an attempt from the second Prince to blame the current King, but was caught, found guilty and sentenced to hanging.

It's honestly not a surprise if the Duke does have trauma from that, but of course, it's the Royal Family, so I don't know how close they were in terms of familial relations.

But all this doesn't matter to me right now. I just need to keep an eye on him and figure out if he's related to the assassins.

Well, I would be if he wasn't so isolated. I haven't been able to see him once in the time I've been watching the house. Every single window is covered with curtains, not allowing anything to peek through.

Even the gates around the mansion seem aged, with moss and plants growing around them, giving the entire area a haunted house impression.

From the way it looks, it doesn't seem like anyone has entered or left in weeks, maybe even months.

That can't be possible, though. How would the people living inside get their food?

Unless they use a different method...

But why? Why would they use another method if they could do the traditional way.

Normally, merchants who have received an order enter from the front gate and are led to an estate's warehouse on the far edge of the land.

However, the front gate here is covered in roots that have grown and climbed from the ground.

They might have another way of getting food? Maybe a farm on the estate?

That doesn't seem likely though. Not many nobles take kindly to having commoner types of land on their land.

Well, no matter what it is, I'll find out eventually.