Chapter 15

—————–———————————————
Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

I slowly sink into a battle stance, with my right leg sliding back behind my left, making an L.

I lower my right hand, moving it behind my back, ready to swing my sword.

My eyes are locked on the crowd of soldiers that are ready to fight.

The silence is deafening, and the seconds that pass felt like hours, before a mage fires off a fireball, having lost his patience.

"[Fireball]!" (Mage 1)

"You idiot!" (Archer 1)

At once, a roar of spells erupt from the crowd, all aimed towards me.

I prepare myself and steady my breathing.

I'm calm, I'm relaxed. Time seems to have slowed to a crawl, and I can see everything going on in the area. I am aware of every thing around me.

Seeing the fireball inch its way closer to me, I dash forwards, while swinging my sword from behind me, intercepting the fireball mid-flight.

An explosion of fire envelops my sword as it continues its path upwards, bringing the flames with it.

But I have no time to rest as an [Ice Spike] starts racing towards me.

A split-second decision led me to putting the side of my sword against the spike and pushing it away.

An eruption of pain explodes from my shoulder as the [Ice Spike] grazes it, opening up nearly healed wounds.

Gritting my teeth, I turn to face another [Fireball].

I have no time to slice it.

I can't jump to the side.

Duck. I can go under it.

I feel the heat of the [Fireball] waft over me as I drop to my stomach to evade it, leaving me open to a rising [Stone Pillar].

It rises from the ground directly under me at a terrifying speed, leaving an impact on my stomach and sending me flying back to my bag.

While I'm on the floor, volleys of [Ice Spikes] nearly hit me, as I desperately try to evade them.

"Fuck it! Fire away!" (Archer 2)

I hear a shout from the archers while trying to stand, and notice the arrows firing towards me, faster than the spells.

I barely have time to react before they reach me.

Jumping to the right, I dodge several volleys, but I also jump directly into the line of another.

I duck to the floor, hoping to not get hit.

Pain once again erupts from my shoulder. I look over to see an arrow sticking out the side of it.

Without thinking, I grab the arrow with my hand and pull it out, throwing it away.

I try to move my arm, but the pain from it makes my vision darken, so I leave it dangling against my side.

The arrows stopped after the spells; the soldiers having noticed that I dropped to the ground.

I use the moment of confusion and hesitation to dash towards them, my sword swinging across from my right hip.