Chapter 79

—————–———————————————
Captain's POV
—————–———————————————

With the letters found in Count Poin's estate in my hands, I make my way towards the Palace.

It's usually unheard of for the King to accept an audience with someone without any previous notice, but it's one of the few privileges we get as the captains of the King's Squads.

Of course this isn't to say it's not discourteous. Many of the King's aides have told me time and time again to not do it, though I don't pay mind to them, especially when they face me while quivering.

I suppose they told me because I have to care for my reputation as a Viscount, but I don't care much about it.

Even now, as I strafe down the halls of the Palace, I can see many of the nobles here sighing and shaking their heads at me, some because I'm simply a knight in the Palace, but others because they know where I'm headed.

But I pay them no mind as I continue, reaching the doors of the King's study a few minutes later.

Knocking on the door, I hear a response from beyond it and enter.

"Doujima? Why are you here?" (King)

"Your Majesty. We've discovered something... Dangerous in Count Poin's residence." (Captain)

I bow slightly as I start speaking, though I don't stay in it for long.

"Dangerous? What do you mean?" (King)

"I think it'd be better for you to look at it for yourself." (Captain)

Walking over to his desk, I hand him the letters from the Jaird representative to Count Poin.

He takes a few minutes to read them, and as he does, he narrows his eyes.

"Those... You say you got these from Count Poin?" (King)

"Yes. Though unruly, we snuck into his estate last night, where Astrid discovered his real office hidden behind a magic disguise, where she found these letters and a few more." (Captain)

"And where are these other letters?" (King)

"Ash, Your Majesty. Not 10 minutes ago, someone snuck into Astrid's room and burnt a few. They detailed Count Poin's plan to earn money with Baron Vionne." (Captain)

"Haah... And here I thought it was just my son being stupid, messing with some assassins." (King)

"What do you want us to do?" (Captain)

"Hmm. Keep Airi beside Subaru. He's planning on having her as his bodyguard anyway, and I'm sure you won't contest that. As for that boy, Ryu, was it? He can--" (King)

"I apologise, Your Majesty, but he is in no state to do anything, or so I've heard." (Captain)

"What do you mean?" (King)

"We found the letter he had sent on the night of the banquet and confronted him about it. He didn't take it well to say the least." (Captain)

"How so?" (King)

"He was sent into a panic attack of sorts. He fainted not long after talking to him about it." (Captain)

"Hmm... What about your other members?" (King)

"I sent Etsu off to Greif, where Ryu's sister is and we aren't sure where Kana is, so I sent Astrid to find her." (Captain)

"Where did you send your elf?" (King)