Chapter 58

---------------------
Ryu's POV
---------------------

The doors before us open up to a blindingly white room.

It was considerably big, with maybe 100 people all gathered below and a decent amount of space between them.

Tables were layed out along the edge of the room, littered with expensive plating that each housed lavish foods of which you'd rarely eat outside of an occasion like this.

We were on a floor above the room, and the doors opened up to a balcony type space with stairs leading down from either side.

The King stood just ahead of us, his left hand facing towards us, while his right wrapped around the waist of the Queen.

"Ah, I didn't realize Her Majesty would be here." (Captain)

He bows down before her as he speaks.

"I won't pay mind to it. I'm sure my husband forgot to tell you." (Queen)

"Thank you." (Captain)

"Hmm, who is this... Cute boy?" (Queen)

"Cute..." (Ryu)

"He is Ryu, Your Majesty, the latest member of our squad." (Captain)

"I see. Well, let's not keep the others waiting." (Queen)

The Queen seemed to hold eyes that looked like they were analysing me as she glared at me.

But she turned away quickly, instead facing the crowds below us.

"These 6 knights are the newest of my named squads, the Laplace Knights!" (King)

Roars of claps erupted from below as the King announces us again, almost making me cover my ears.

As we step further onto the outcropping of the indoor balcony, the room only seemed to get bigger as more and more people started to appear.

It's the first time I've seen so many people gather for a single person.

After the claps end, the King speaks again, only slightly,
"Please, treat them with hospitality." (King)

With that, we start walking down the stairs on the right side of the balcony, while the King and Queen walk down the left side.

As we reached the bottom of the stairs, the atmosphere of the room turned from joyous to a mix of contempt, disgust and admiration.

It was strange. Eyes seemed to be locked on to us, holding only negative feelings in their gaze, despite the order from the King.

It seems like the Nobles of the Kingdom only follow the King's orders at face value.

Stepping further away from the stairs, our squad started to become fragmented, the distance between each other increasing by the second, as if dragged away by a wave.

Before long, I was alone, surrounded by what seemed to be hounds jumping on a pile of prey.

"Ah, so you're one of the knights!" (Noble 1)

"My, how talented must you be to join a squad at your age?" (Noble 2)

"Would you like to get some weapons from my shop?" (Noble 3)

"A-ah, I'm not a kn--" (Ryu)

Ah, I can't say that. It'll cause a scene.

"One at a time, please." (Ryu)

"Oh, of course. Then, would you like to be a part of my family?" (Noble 1)

"Eh?" (Ryu)

"You see, my daughter is absolutely infatuated with knights, so if I get her a fiancé who's a Knight and the same age as her, she'll be amazed!" (Noble 1)