Chapter 82

---------------------
Airi's POV
---------------------

It didn't take long for the aide to return with a pile of books, each holding information about Count Poin and Baron Vionne's territory.

None of us said anything whilst the King was looking through them, but we could tell something was up when his face started contorting.

"Haah... As I thought..." (King)

"What is it?" (Captain)

"The Baron and the Count had similar income gains. They were likely doing the same kind of business with each other." (King)

"And that means they both had illegal earnings?" (Airi)

"Maybe. It's only suspicion, but considering the timing, it likely isn't a coincidence." (Captain)

"Can we do something about it?" (Subaru)

"... With just this we can't. It isn't suspicious that the two had similar earnings since they could be in the same business. We need proof..." (King)

"Could we try to get it out of the Count?" (Subaru)

"We could try, but he might be holding on to the hope that someone can save him." (King)

"Then how about we go? Then you two can continue brain storming." (Subaru)

"... Alright. Get something out of him at least." (King)

"Ok!" (Subaru)

Subaru turns around to leave, and I follow close behind.

The prison isn't as far from the Palace as you'd expect, but it still takes several minutes to get there.

As I step down the stone stairs to enter, the cold atmosphere of the prison makes me shiver.

It really isn't a place you'd want to be trapped in for a while, especially at night.

Of course, there are the several torches that hang against the wall, but the flickering flames makes the room that much more ominous.

We walk past several empty and occupied cells before reaching the Count's.

"...! Y-Your Highness! Please, forgive me! I truly didn't do what I've been accused of!" (Count Poin)

The sudden exclamation of the Prince from the Count causes murmurs from the other prisoners, but nothing more.

"Is that so?" (Subaru)

"T-Truly! I didn't do anything of the sorts! I haven't even thought of going against the Royal Family!" (Count Poin)

"Then... I may be able to help you..." (Subaru)

"Really? Please! I don't want to die!" (Count Poin)

"You need to do me a favour first, however." (Subaru)

"A-Anything!" (Count Poin)

"Tell me... What is the business you are doing with Baron Vionne?" (Subaru)

"...! That... I-I don't know what you are on about, Y-Your Highness..." (Count Poin)

"... Well, it would seem you don't want my help. I suppose I'll have to leave." (Subaru)