Chapter 49

—————–———————————————
Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

"Astrid! Thanks for the save! " (Airi)

"Yeah, you got it~! But anyway, you're not going to be able to get close with that magnitude of magic." (Astrid)

"Yeah, I thought so too. What about this shield?" (Airi)

"It can't move. It's basically a large, immovable barrier." (Astrid)

"... Can you do enhancement?" (Ryu)

"Eh? Sure, I can, but if you get hit by those, you'll die for sure." (Astrid)

As if confirming those words, a shard gouges out a 2 foot hole just before the shield.

"Speed me up. I won't get hit." (Ryu)

I stare into Healer's eyes, not hesitating for a second.

"... Fine, I'll do it. But enhancement magic isn't my forte." (Astrid)

"Good." (Ryu)

"I call upon the spirits, answer my call, bestow upon thee thy power of Haste." (Astrid)

As the chant finishes, a faint blue glow appears around me, signifying that the spell had been cast successfully.

As I get ready to run, the faint blue glow shivers slightly, showing that it was already nearing its limit.

I dash forwards, wind flying past my face, the cold chill of the ice magic stinging my cheeks.

I could both feel and see my speed having increased, with my legs moving abnormally fast, and the fact that the trees ahead of me were closing in fast.

While still running, I turn to the Fenrir and dash towards it.

My speed catches it off guard, knowing that I was probably fast than it right now.

It swings its claws, but it had obviously not caught up to my speed yet as I had already run past the claws and gouged another cut out of the legs of the Fenrir.

The lack of a howl surprises me, and I turn to see the Fenrir facing me, holding back the urge to howl in pain, knowing it'd be useless.

"You stupid wolf..." (Ryu)

I mutter under my breath, trying to provoke it into a fight.

It answers my call and growls at me, before dashing towards me.

As it reaches me, I step into its path and swing my sword down, which is followed by a spray of blood staining the Fenrir's snow white  fur.

It whimpers under the pain as it jumps back in an attempt to dodge the attack.

I hope for one last attack as I go into a run, facing the monster.

Having gotten accustomed to my speed, the Fenrir times its attack perfectly, and I try to dash to the side to dodge it.

But just before I can place my foot on the ground, the blue shimmer that surrounded me finally fizzles out of existence, and I can feel my body grow slower.

"Oh sh-- Kuh!" (Ryu)

I get swatted away from the Fenrir while I was focused on the speed boost having worn out.

Landing on the ground atleast 10 meters away, I roll backwards a few times before spitting blood.

"Hey, Ryu! You ok?" (Airi)