Chapter 69

—————–———————————————
Kana's POV
—————–———————————————

A man's voice echoed through the empty lobby. From the sound of it, he seemed to be about 50 or 60 years old, though, he looked around 40.

His blonde hair shone brilliantly in the simple lighting, and his golden eyes seemed to stare right into me.

"I didn't realise Duke Boule was still sane." (Kana)

"Hahaha. Well, as you can see, I'm still very sane, and still very well." (Duke Boule)

He gestures to his body, and I know only recognise the fact that he only has trousers on, with his torso completely bare.

But I see what he means. Instead of a common nobility body, the Duke’s looks as if he'd been training in swordsmanship his entire life.

"I guess the rumours are wrong." (Kana)

"Very. They must have even forgotten about my fiance." (Duke Boule)

"Hmm. Can we have a chat?" (Kana)

"With an elf? It would be my honour." (Duke Boule)

He walks back the way he came, and I follow after him, through the many corridors and into a large room.

A table fit for many people sat inside. It was as big as a meeting table, though it had a table cloth laid out on it, with 2 sets of candles sitting on top.

"Fetch us some tea." (Duke Boule)

He motions towards the door, and the servant who had been in the room left promptly, leaving us alone.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" (Duke Boule)

"How up to date are you on the gossip on the Capital, Duke?" (Kana)

"I hear things now and then." (Duke Boule)

"So do you know of the recent assassination attempt?" (Kana)

"On Brother?" (Duke Boule)

"So you don't know. It was on his son, Subaru, the Crown Prince." (Kana)

"Ah, him." (Duke Boule)

"You know him?" (Kana)

"Of course, he's my nephew after all. But I don't think he likes me." (Duke Boule)

He chuckles after speaking, though it seems twinged on regret.

"Why's that?" (Kana)

"When he was first named Crown Prince, I went to Broth-- His Highness and told him to change his mind. I didn't think he was going to be a good leader." (Duke Boule)

"Do you still think that?" (Kana)

"No, not any more. You should have seen him during an annual hunting session. The way he commanded his allies, the way he handled his sword and bow; it seemed to have potential that surpassed the First King." (Duke Boule)