Chapter 8

---------------------
Airi's POV
---------------------

Slumping against my body, Ryu falls unconscious.

He has a habit of giving me a hard time, doesn't he?

Well, it should be about time now anyways.

Let's bring him outside, he needs medical attention.

Walking through the cell door, I see several guards rushing into the secret bar, all adopting battle stances.

"Hey, hey. There's no need for that. It's just the one guy in the cell here. He's already knocked out though." (Airi)

Easing their bodies slightly, two of the guards approach the cell and enter, only coming out seconds later with the man between their shoulders.

"Anyway, do you guys have any healers anywhere? Anyone who can use healing magic?" (Airi)

"Yeah, we do, but..." (Guard 1)

Letting his sentence trail off, the guard glances down at Ryu in my arms with a look of disdain.

"But what? Are you going to refuse a child medical care?" (Airi)

"Not on purpose! It's not our fault! It's just that... The entire village don't seem to like him, so it's hard for him to do anything here." (Guard 2)

The entire village? Not just this group?

"And? What did he do to receive such hate?" (Airi)

"What do you think?! He helped those damn outlaws is what he did!" (Guard 3)

"Y-yeah! You must know them Knight! The damn No-Names!" (Guard 1)

The No-Names, huh. Did he really help them? He might've done. His parents might have pressured him into it.

"So? What did he do with the outlaws?" (Airi)

"He just stood there and watched while those vile humans destroyed families!" (Guard 3)

"How long ago was this?" (Airi)

"4 years ago." (Guard 2)

...

"This 'damned child' was 8 years old when that happened. What did you want him to do? Did you want to make an 8 year old child kill someone? Did you want an 8 year old child to put their life on the line to save some people who couldn't protect the people they were supposed to?" (Airi)

Obviously lacking a response to the questions spoken with cold violence, the guards walk past me, but not before shooting a glare at Ryu.

I should leave. I need to find Ryu someone who can heal him.

There must be someone in this village. Someone.

Anyone who doesn't hate him.

---------------------

"Please! Please help him!" (Airi)

"I-I'm sorry, I can't." (Shop Keeper)

There isn't anyone.

Absolutely no one.

Damn it! And here I was assuming that there was someone here who could help him!

His wounds are too serious for a trip to another village!

Wait, no. I might be able to get him to the Capital.

I need to go back to the Inn. Ryu had a healing ointment on him.

Did he make it because he knew this was going to happen? No, now's not the time to think about that. I just need to apply it on him.