Chapter 86

—————–———————————————
Captain's POV
—————–———————————————

I was on my way back to Richt a few days after finding and freeing the slaves.

Because I was the one to find them, and due to knightly duties, I had to stay behind to ensure that all the victims made it back to their families, and that they were provided with safety.

Many of them had no place to go to, as many were taken with their families, who were then sold off.

I also later learned that there were categories for slaves, which I had to organise them into, as they all needed specific types of recovery.

There were the typical slaves, who would often be used for menial and laborious work, like heavy lifting. These slaves often had injuries all over their bodies, but none that would hinder their ability to work.

After that were the sex slaves. These were primarily women, but a few men were mixed in. These slaves often didn't have many injuries and were considerably well-fed compared to the others.

And finally, there were, what were dubbed, the "anger slaves". These were the ones who were missing limbs, as they were the ones who were used for when the Baron wanted to exert his anger out on someone.

The "anger slaves" wouldn't often be sold, but apparently on a few occasions, they were taken and, according to rumours, then found dead within a few weeks.

Thankfully, there weren't any children among the slaves that we found, but I told the knights who were helping me to keep a look out just in case.

But after all of that was done, I was free to leave the fief town of Serti.

—————–———————————————

Much like the journey I had made a few days prior, the trip back to the Capital was uneventful.

I managed to make it back in around a day or two, and as I reached the edge of Richt, the sun was soon hiding under the hills of the grasslands around me.

Despite this, however, the city remained as lively as ever as the night life of Richt began to come to life.

Lights lit up the streets in a fluorescent glow as dancers and drunkards alike began to make their way out of their buildings.

Music could be heard echoing through out the turns of the city, and shouts and cheers rumbled through the alleys.

Every now and then, you'd be able to hear a scuffle, which would quickly turn into a friendly drinking challenge.

As I made my way further into Richt, I found myself in the night market. A market very similar to the one you'd find in the day, but selling much more exotic goods.

I had once managed to find a dragon tooth for sale in one of these stalls many years ago.

Glancing across at the stalls that I walked beside, several things peak my interest, and I soon find myself engrossed in the many items for sale.

It takes a few minutes for me to pull away from the glow of the market and readjust my path to the Palace.

These sights continue more and more infrequently as I make my way closer to the Palace, and soon, the noise of the shouting and cheering die out.

With no more distractions behind me, I hasten my pace and reach the Palace within a few minutes, to which I'm let inside promptly.

Despite it being dusk, I still receive a few of the usual scornful glares as I make my way to the King's study.