Chapter 25

—————–———————————————
Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

Hearing the voice behind me, I jump forward and spin around, unsheathing my sword.

"As unfriendly as ever, eh, Ryu?" (???)

My blood runs ice-cold as the man utters my name, previous memories bursting from the depths of my mind.

"... Its been a while. How're they doing?" (Ryu)

"Oh, you know... Mourning." (???)

I feel rage run through me as he speaks, and the desire to slice him down nearly overpowers me.

"Don't make me laugh. What do you guys have to mourn for?" (Ryu)

"Surely you know? After all, you watched it happen, did you not?" (???)

As he finishes his sentence, my rage tips me over the edge and I dash forwards, readying my sword to strike.

"Hey hey, too hot-blooded, don't you think?" (???)

I bring my sword towards him, but it cuts empty air as he jumps, now floating several meters in the air.

"Good to see you doing well, but I'll be going now." (???)

"Oh, running away from a fight? That's unlike you." (Ryu)

"Hah, you thought that was a fight? That was just a pitiful attack by a rat." (???)

Flying away, he leaves me alone in the middle of the decrepit street.

"BASTARD!" (Ryu)

I shout at the top of my lungs, attempting to sooth the rage flowing through me.

Several seconds pass as I stand in the street, calming myself.

I sheath my sword as I prepare to continue my task.

I start sprinting towards the gate again, looking all the while for the trader, as well as the person I just met.

Having ran for several minutes, I regain my stamina as I look around at the gate, it's massiveness eminating an intimidating aura, and it would look like it was built for a castle, if not for the slums and ruins all around it.

I stand in front of the gate in awe, not having the chance to admire it when first entering the town.

Deathly silence fills the air as I stare at the gate.

Barely anyone lives in this side of the town. It seems to be rampant with disease, and any unsuspecting victim could be robbed by the few people still here.

The entire area seemed to emit a depressing feeling, as if many had lost their lives on this very ground.

Having finally taken in my surroundings, I begin scaling the wall, not using [Rise] so as to not attract any unwanted attention.

I reach the top in a few minutes, taking in the wider view I have of the surroundings.

The entire town is visible from up here. The marketplace in the centre of town is bustling with people. The main gate to town completely crowed with merchants and travelers, and looking at it now made me grateful that we hadn't entered from that side.