Chapter 96

—————–———————————————
Young Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

With the sun slowly descending below the hills of the plains we were in, I make my way back into the camp; a small deer hoisted over my shoulder.

It had been a day much like any other day we've had since we've been travelling across the border between the Kingdom and the Empire. Wake up in the morning, sort out chores to do in the camp, go out to hunt for food, come back and eat, then sleep. I might get some occasional sword training in between eating and sleeping, but that's about it.

The camp wasn't particularly large, but it was definitely one that you'd be able to get somewhat lost in since all the tents looked the exact same, but it was done on purpose to make sure not just anyone could make it to the centre.

We change it up every time we stay and camp, so even after living like this for my entire life, it wasn't something that you'd be able to get used to, and even I'd get lost sometimes, not often though.

But today I managed to make it to the campfire with relative ease, especially with the deer over my shoulder and I set it down on a flat piece of log that was stained with red bloodstains. I wasn't the one who cut up the meat for us to eat, but I had been taught how to since it was a skill I would need when I would eventually leave.

I do a slight whistle to let anyone know that there was food that needed to be readied and walk off into the winding paths again, looking for my personal tent.

It didn't usually take me too long to find it, but today, I just seemed to be making the wrong turns constantly. I wasn't running around in a circle, but I never seemed to be going in the right direction.

Turn a corner, walk for a bit, turn a corner. I just seemed to be doing that, until I heard a conversation happening in a tent further ahead of me. It wasn't unusual, but after getting a little frustrated with getting lost, my curiosity took a hold of me.

So, I snuck up to the outside of the tent, sat down and listened.

"So? When's it happenin'?" (Man 1)

"Pff, couple a' weeks from now? We don't know. Well, it'll create one helluva commotion, so that's all we need t'know." (Man 2)

"Still, why d'they want us to tail a couple a' kids? It's strange they didn't want 'em dead." (Man 1)

"Who knows, but it's nothin' different for us. We just gotta do our job." (Man 2)

"Hah, true that." (Man 1)

Shrinking back into a space between two tents, I hold my breath as the two men exit and walk away.

I hear their chuckling and chatter quieten as they move further and further away, and my breath escapes from my mouth.

They... They were definitely talking about me and Akari, right?

I mean, we're the only kids in the camp, and we haven't had anything to do with others for at least a week or two at this point.

So why are they... What's happening in a few weeks? If something's happening with the group, I'd surely know about it.

T-Then surely not... It has to be some others, right? Maybe some from the town we were just in... Greif...