Chapter 99

——————–———————————
Captain's POV
—————–————————————

"How... Didn't I even... Manage to land... A single hit on you?" (Ryu)

He spoke in between deep breaths while lying on the floor.

"Hm. You're too aggressive... You only focus on hitting the person you're fighting rather than defending." (Captain)

I stand over him, my sword placed on the ground and lean on it while pointing out his mistakes.

"So... If I defended... I would have won?" (Ryu)

"... Certain battles can only be won by experience alone. Even once you perfect your swordsmanship, there will always be a better opponent." (Captain)

"Even if... You've only lived... Fighting?" (Ryu)

"No one person can live a life and experience everything. One fighter will always excel at one thing than his opponent even if they are of equal skill. This goes both ways." (Captain)

Around when I finished this sentence, Ryu stood up, dust covering his clothes and scrapes across his arms and hands, a slight stain of blood over them.

"... That's it for today. Go back to the inn and wash up. Spend some time with your sister." (Captain)

It looked as if he wanted to rebuke what I was saying before I finished, but he didn't speak out and walked away quietly.

I watch his back for a few seconds, then turned and pick up both swords, putting them back on the rack we had gotten them from.

Whilst placing the second sword, I hear a call out to the side and see a guard from the wall jogging towards me, holding something in his hand.

"Captain Doujima! Captain Doujima! I was told to give you this..." (Guard)

He hands me a small piece of paper, a letter, sealed with a red wax and the symbol of a weasel imprinted on it.

Not paying much attention to it, I tear it open and pull the letter out.

It was accompanied by a strange, elegant smell and overly-zealous handwriting, signed off at the end in a barely legible signature.

I had to read it a few times to understand it fully, as most of it was filled with unnecessary filler, but it was sent by Baron Fior.

The Fior family wasn't particularly well-known, to say the least. Rumors claim they bought their title rather than had it bestowed to or inherited, but none evolved further than that.

They rarely attended social parties and didn't seem to do much outside of their land.

What was common knowledge, however, was that they were very much siding with the aristocratic faction and not the Royal Family since the Baron criticized them in the few outings he does goes on.

But the letter did not say much, merely inviting us to visit him as we were close by and he wished to congratulate me on taking command of a true King's Squad.

It was laced with so many sweet words that it was almost difficult to read.

"Ah! There was also this one that was sent in a few days ago, but we couldn't find you." (Guard)