Chapter 24

---------------------
Airi's POV
---------------------

"Ah, Takeo is it? Nice to meet you, I'm Airi." (Airi)

Holding my hand out, Takeo takes it, gripping tightly, as if to ascertain my strength.

I tighten my grip using all of my strength.

"Oh, quite a grip 'ou got there little lady." (Takeo)

"Comes with the job, I suppose." (Airi)

"Sure does." (Takeo)

Releasing my hand, Takeo turns to Kana.

"And how about 'ou, little elf lady?" (Takeo)

"Kana, nice to meet you." (Kana)

They have a quick handshake before turning away from each other.

"Now then, how about that drink?" (Takeo)

Takeo walks ahead of us into the Inn, obviously happy about a free drink.

We take a seat at a table as Takeo orders, and within minutes, it arrives.

"Now then, how about 'ou tell me why 'ou bought me a drink, eh?" (Takeo)

"We need to perform a spell on you." (Kana)

"Alright." (Takeo)

Silence washes over us for a few seconds because of the instant response.

"You aren't worried or anything?" (Astrid)

"Talkin' from experience, anyone who buys me a drink with this appearance ain't plannin' on doin' anythin' dangerous." (Takeo)

"I-I see, well, that's good for us. Helps us get our job done quicker." (Astrid)

"Your job? Is it anythin' to do with how this entire town is actin'?" (Takeo)

"Wait, you've noticed that?" (Astrid)

"Anyone who's not a fool has. Me an' my party are at another Inn further down, plannin' how to get out quickly and safely." (Takeo)

"Ah, you're not needed then." (Kana)

"Hm? Why's that?" (Takeo)

"We needed someone under the influence of the spell." (Airi)

"I see. Well, we're pretty lucky, considerin' we were outside the gate as the spell activated." (Takeo)

"Oh? When was this?" (Astrid)

"A week ago, we were headin' here to resupply before going to the Nashi Archipelago." (Takeo)

"This is a pretty far off town for those islands. Why not go for some of the closer ones?" (Airi)

"Well, we just came back from a sea extermination quest, and were closest to here. Then we saw a quest for a delivery to the islands and we thought 'why not?'" (Takeo)

"Hmm. Say, where were you yesterday?" (Kana)

"Yesterday? Hmm, I was walkin' around the pier, lookin' for some food, I also went into some back alleys, the usual." (Takeo)

"Back alleys? What for?" (Astrid)

"'ou going to make me say it?" (Takeo)

"Yeah, nevermind." (Astrid)

"Well, that doesn't matter now, I asked what I wanted to, but I don't think you're needed here anymore. You should leave town soon." (Kana)

"Will do, thanks for the warnin'." (Takeo)