Chapter 62

—————–———————————————
Astrid's POV
—————–———————————————

Ryu jolts upwards suddenly, with no previous intent on moving, his mouth wide open before a shout comes out.

"NO!" (Ryu)

It echoes throughout the small room we were in, and makes me cover my ears.

I take a second to make sure that he wasn't going to scream again, then take my hands off my ears and look at him.

He sat upright in the bed he was on, bandages wrapped around his stomach, covering where he was stabbed.

His face was pale, a completely different colour to what it was when he lost consciousness.

I thought I could see a tear running down his face, but also noticed him drenched in a cold sweat.

"Whoa, Ryu, calm down." (Astrid)

Standing up from the chair I was sitting in, I walk over to comfort him while also making sure his wound doesn't reopen.

His breathing seemed ragged and frantic, as if he'd been running as fast as he could, and his eyes had a look of horror in them.

"Calm down. It's alright." (Astrid)

I attempt to comfort him as I push him back down, checking the bandages for any signs of blood.

He stays still for a few minutes, the look in his eyes not changing.

After a while, his breathing goes back to normal, and he seems to gain awareness of his surroundings.

"... Healer?" (Ryu)

"It's Astrid, but yes, I'm here." (Astrid)

"... I see." (Ryu)

He doesn't continue speaking, and I don't pry for information from him, we just let silence take the room.

A few minutes pass like that, neither of us speaking, before Captain enters the room.

"Is he awake?" (Captain)

"He is, but..." (Astrid)

"But?" (Captain)

I galnce at Ryu before continuing.

"... Not here." (Astrid)

"Alright... Ryu, how is it?" (Captain)

"Fine." (Ryu)

"Good. Heal up quickly, the King's going to want to see us soon." (Captain)

"... What happened?" (Ryu)

"At the banquet?" (Captain)

"Mm." (Ryu)

"Hmm. It was an assassination plot aiming for Crown Prince Subaru, but it was originally supposed to be an act that he put on that he'd use as his recommendation." (Captain)