Chapter 64

—————–———————————————
Airi's POV
—————–———————————————

We stay in the same room for a while after they left.

My sudden statement about a third child must have sent the Crown Prince's brain through a war, since it is very possible it could be the reason.

Right now, I'd imagine him trying to disagree with what I said, but finding it hard to.

The mind doubts even in the face of facts, after all.

"... Say, why'd you think that?" (Subaru)

"Hm?" (Airi)

"The third child. What made you think that?" (Subaru)

"I told you a few minutes ago...?" (Airi)

"Isn't there another reason, though?" (Subaru)

"Well, there is, but..." (Airi)

"But?" (Subaru)

"I might get executed if I say it?" (Airi)

"..." (Subaru)

He sits in silence for a few seconds after, before bursting out laughing.

"Hahaha! God, Doujima really does a good job of picking his knights. First that other kid, and now you!" (Subaru)

"Eh? What?" (Airi)

"You guys really don't hold anything back against nobles, huh?" (Subaru)

"Wait wait wait. What are you saying? And who's this 'other kid'?" (Airi)

"You know, short, black hair. Slightly scary eyes. Doesn't talk much." (Subaru)

"... You mean Ryu...?" (Airi)

"Yeah! Him! God, he doesn't care about status at all! He's so amusing!" (Subaru)

"You think?" (Airi)

"Do you not think so?" (Subaru)

"Well... I mean, it's hard to laugh when someone is being rude to someone who can have them executed in the spot." (Airi)

"Come on, don't joke. My Father may be ruthless during war, but when it comes to his people, he's really caring!" (Subaru)

"... Didn't he banish a noble to Naem because he annoyed the King?" (Airi)

"Ah, that was the official statement. That noble was actually trying to get his daughter engaged with the Second Prince." (Subaru)

"Isn't that normal for nobles?" (Airi)

"It is, except for the fact that his daughter isn't even 10." (Subaru)

"Ah. I see." (Airi)

"If anything, it was a saving grace for the wife and daughter, since that noble was abusing them." (Subaru)

"Slave labour as punishment for abuse, huh?" (Airi)

"Fitting punishment, right? Of course, the family would have also been destroyed, had it not been for the fact that the wife had an affair with the noble's brother, making him the official heir." (Subaru)

"Wow. Nobles truly are the worst, aren't they?" (Airi)

"Most of them, it seems. But anyway, my body's getting stiff, let's spar." (Subaru)

"... Eh?" (Airi)

"You didn't hear me? Let's spar, wooden swords, out in the training field." (Subaru)