Chapter 44

—————–———————————————
Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

Having left the town a few hours ago, we were still far away from our destination, The Great Forest of Reich.

We hadn't stopped for a break and, despite being well-trained soldiers, the ones following us were severely exhausted.

Their ragged breaths could be heard over the crunching of the grass below our feet, over the sounds of their armour gliding across itself.

I didn't have an issue with fatigue, having spent several full nights with the bandits fighting. It didn't seem like the squad did either.

But it was Healer that had noticed the slowing pace and informed Captain. He swung his head around, as if confirming what she said, and stood thinking.

It looked like he was weighing his options, like there was much to weigh anyway.

After a couple of seconds of internal deliberation, Captain announced that we would take a break, receiving a loud sigh of relief from the soldiers in return.

With their vigor back, the soldiers quickly set up a makeshift camp, letting themselves relax for the few moments they can.

"I was hoping we'd get there before evening, but at this pace, we'd be lucky if we get there by nightfall." (Captain)

Further away from the camp, Captain and Vice-Captain were busy talking about the journey we were taking.

"That might've been wishful thinking from the start, you saw how that soldier did against Ryu." (Etsu)

"Yeah, they might be a little below what I thought they would be." (Captain)

"That's why I think we need to adjust our plans. We're going off the idea that each soldier is able to withstand a bout from Ryu, but based on the display we were shown in Alzibria, I don't think that's the case." (Etsu)

"... Right. Then, make a new fighting strategy for the Fenrir. Take everything into account." (Captain)

"Yes sir." (Etsu)

I managed to eavesdrop on them and silently agreed with what they were saying, having been slightly dissapointed with what that noble showed me in town.

Although, based on the reactions from the others, I don't think it was something rare, but rather, something that happens often.

My train of thought continues along that route before it is derailed by the smell of something burning.

Looking around, I see rising smoke coming from one side of the camp, so I start dashing over, only to find...

A cooking pot.

One of the soldiers had tried to make something for everyone to eat, but had managed to set the food he was making on fire.

Despite their source of food being charred and ash , the atmosphere was surprisingly light, with many of the soldiers teasing the one who had ruined the meal.

Looking at the situation brought back some memories I was surprisingly fond of from when I was with the No-Names.

The shabby camp. The light atmosphere. The teasing. The burnt food.

It all brought a sense of nostalgia that, deep inside, felt nice to me, before those feelings of the memory's quickly turned to disgust.

I shake my head, trying to get rid of the thoughts that swirled around inside.

Having a clear mind, I grab the cooking pot and throw out the insides, the black soot that slightly resembled food nearly shattering on impact with the ground.

Taking off my backpack, I fish around inside for some ingredients, finding little to nothing.

I lift my head from my backpack, giving myself room to think, before seeing movement on the plains that we had been walking on.

Seeing this, an idea pops into my head.

"I'm going to be gone for a bit." (Ryu)

"Eh? Wai--" (Airi)

Leaving no time for her to refute, I dash off towards the origin of the movement I saw.

The silhouette of the monsters in the distance slowly form, turning into that of a large pig.

I slow down as I approach the boar, sword drawn.

It had already noticed me by the time I reached it, considering the noise of my running, so it was facing my way, husks prepared to skewer me.

With no care, it rushes towards me, growling the whole way.

Just before it reaches me, I side step out of its path and swing my sword down at its neck, feeling little resistance as the head of the boar falls to the ground.

Blood pools from the dismembered neck of the boar, and faint growls could be heard from around me.

Several seconds pass before more boars appear, attracted to the blood of its own species.

With no sense of cohesion, they all rush towards me at once, but I simply jump up, and their husks pierce the heads of each other, causing 4 of the 7 to die.

The remaining 3 were slightly nauseated from the impact, so they were easy to finish off.

With the 8 boars in tow, I make my way back to camp, having successfully hunted for food.

I make it back to the camp quickly, and was seen as a godsend due to the amount of food I had procured.

It turns out that many of the soldiers could actually cook, but the one who had burnt the food wanted to learn how to, since he was considerably bad at it.

I internally lament at the light hearted feelings the soldiers held towards having no food, but push it away as the meal starts to get handed out.

It wasn't anything luxurious, it was just a simple boar stew, but it managed to raise the morale, and to relieve the fatigue of the soldiers.

We started moving again shortly after the meal, since the Captain wanted to waste as little time as possible.

At the rate we're going, it seems that we'll make it to the forest a little before nightfall, but that also depends on how well the soldiers can withstand their own stamina.

After another few hours of walking, I could finally see the edge of the forest, so we decided to stop moving and set up camp, since the sun had almost gone, and entering the forest at night was a death wish.

—————–———————————————
Author Notes
—————–———————————————

Another chapter finished.

This chapter was weird for me to write, because it didn't feel the same as the others. If I were to compare it to another chapter, it'd be Chapter 18, because I don't think the quality is very high, since it's not something I usually write.

But hopefully next chapter will be better, since it should be more about what I'm used to writing.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!