Chapter 56

—————–———————————————
Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

It was about 3 hours before dawn when I made it back to the Palace.

The city had been much further than I thought it was, since it took me about 2 hours to reach it, and another hour to find the postal service.

I had also tried to cancel the spirit magic before I entered, but I couldn't find a way to, so I had to wait in the shadows for the glow around me to fade, which took about 5 minutes.

It lasted a lot longer than Healer's, though she did say that she wasn't very good at it.

Surprisingly, it didn't take much mana from me, especially since I was expecting to be about half drained, but it took barely a tenth of my available mana.

Of course, that didn't account for my actual stamina, since running for 4 hours to and from the city was extremely draining, and my legs feel like they could fall off at any moment.

But as I slow down when reaching the gate of the Palace, I feel a slight sense of relief wash over me.

Hopping over the same fence which I had done prior, I waste no time looking around for the guards and instead dash straight towards the tree I had fallen down.

Luckily, climbing up trees and falling down them were different matters, and I found it easy to reach the balcony of my room.

Except...

It was closed.

When I jumped from the balcony, I hadn't closed it. I know that for certain, which means someone went inside my room, and saw that I wasn't there.

It likely wasn't a servant, since they wouldn't have entered considering the time.

It was likely someone from our squad.

Vice-Captain, maybe?

He had chased me after he thought I was an eavesdropper. Well, I suppose I was but...

Does he think I chased after the supposed eavesdropper?

Does he know I was the eavesdropper?

Well, I'm not going to find anything out by sitting on the tree.

Standing on the branch, I balance myself precariously before leaping to the balcony, landing firmly on my feet.

I wait a moment to make sure no one heard my and reach for the door handle.

Hearing a click as I pull down, I heave a slight sigh of relief and enter before...

"So?" (Etsu)

"... Haah." (Ryu)

The sigh of reielf turned into a sigh of regret as Vice-Captain sits on a chair by the sofa.

"What were you doing?" (Etsu)

"... Taking a breather?" (Ryu)

"For 5 hours?" (Etsu)

"I take long breaths." (Ryu)

"... So? Did you find them?" (Etsu)

"'Them'?" (Ryu)

"The eavesdropper." (Etsu)

"Ah, no." (Ryu)

"No? What were you doing?" (Etsu)

"... Taking a breather." (Ryu)

Our gazes lock together for a few seconds, before Vice-Captain yields.

"... Ah, forget it. Get some rest. Don't forget that we have a banquet tomorrow." (Etsu)