Chapter 61

—————–———————————————
Young Ryu's POV
—————–———————————————

My feet hit the ground as I sprint towards the edge of a camp, fire raging around me.

I can feel my lungs burning inside me as I push myself to run more and more, swallowing smoke the more I breathe.

Looking around only brings to me colours of orange and red raging in a fiery war, swallowing tents and trees alike.

I continue running, taking corners, doing circles, no matter what direction, I continue running.

That is, until I reach my destination.

Standing a safe distance from the fire, a small, brown haired girl watched as the fire engulfed everything, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Akari! Akari!" (Young Ryu)

"Ryu! W-whats happening? Where's M-Mum and Dad?" (Akari)

"Listen, Akari. Listen to me. They'll be fine. Trust me. Ok?" (Young Ryu)

"... Mm. Ok." (Akari)

"Good. Now listen to what I'm going to say. You know the town we were just in?" (Young Ryu)

"Mm. Greif, right?" (Akari)

"Good. You remember how to get there, right?" (Young Ryu)

"Mm. You go that way and follow the road." (Akari)

She points towards the middle of some plains, no road in sight, aside from a slight haze as you look further.

"Good. Go as far as you can, I'll get rid of the barrier. Go to Greif. Ask for Old Man Frien. You remember him?" (Young Ryu)

"I remember. He gave us some cake." (Akari)

"He did. Go to him and ask him if you can stay with him. He'll understand. Ok?" (Young Ryu)

"..." (Akari)

"Akari. Look at me." (Young Ryu)

I lift her head up so her eyes lock with mine.

Tears are streaming down her face: a sad sight to see on a 6 year old.

"You will see me again, ok? Trust in your older brother, alright?" (Young Ryu)

"... Mm. Ok." (Akari)

"Good. Now, go." (Young Ryu)

I give her a kiss on the forehead and turn her around, facing the direction she pointed in.

She sniffles slightly, trying to stop her tears before running, not looking back.

"Good. I love you, Akari." (Young Ryu)

With the parting words that she may not have even heard, I turn around and run back into camp.

Smoke blocks my vision and burns my throat.

Every breath I take sends pains jolting up from my neck.

But I continue running, if I don't, then Akari won't be able to make it.

With that thought spurring me on, I run towards the centre of camp, to a large tent, from which a haze rises from its top and spreads out.

I push aside the felt that acts as a doorway and walk towards the small mirror that faces the top of the tent.

This was where the haze originated from. This was what was making the barrier.

I don't hesitate in stepping down on it, shattering it.