Chapter 20

---------------------
Ryu's POV
---------------------

I ready my sword, prepared to strike the stone in a dash.

I can feel their gazes on me from beyond the barrier, telling me not to strike it, telling me to wait for them to pass through.

All in all, I don't know how I managed to walk through. My gut told me nothing would happen, and it was right.

And I continued walking, not taking a look at the burning corpses on my right.

Then I landed within striking distance of it. A bright, red magic stone that contained the mana of humans.

Now, I have my sword ready, and I dash forward, thrusting my sword at the stone.

Sparks fly in all directions as cracks appear, an indication of it breaking, while my sword appears completely fine.

The cracks get deeper and longer as I push more against my sword, forcing it into a dent it made.

More and more mana leaks out as the stone breaks further, dissipating into the surroundings.

Putting more force against my sword, the stone finally breaks with an outburst of the rest of the mana it contained.

It sends me flying back several metres and I land on my back, leaving me winded.

I lay there for a few seconds to recover my breath and stand up, directing my gaze towards the squad.

Suspicion is painted over their faces as they help the Captain to his feet.

Trying my best to ignore the look in their eyes, I walk towards them.

"I did it." (Ryu)

"Yeah, but how?" (Airi)

"How what? I just stabbed it." (Ryu)

"She wants to ask how you got through the barrier type magic." (Kana)

"Don't know." (Ryu)

"What do you mean you don't know?" (Kana)

"It means what it means. I don't know how I did it, I just did." (Ryu)

She turns away from me, gritting her teeth.

"I don't know what else to tell you. I just went with my instinct which said I'll be fine." (Ryu)

Despite not being happy with my answer, she decides not to press it further, and instead turns her attention to the composition of the magic.

"Hey, Astrid, do you know what type of magic barrier this is?" (Kana)

"Nope, not a clue. I've never seen a barrier that attacks intruders. Usually, they only prevent them from entering by acting as a sort of wall. It's not like it's a category of magic, it's more just a wall of mana that's been made solid but, in most cases, invisible." (Astrid)

"So, what does that make this?" (Kana)

"Who knows, my first guess was a barrier that was imbued with lightning magic." (Astrid)