• 82 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
——  ∞  ——

"Tell me what I can do," Hyun-Ji asked.

It was probably the fourth time she'd asked one of the passing trio of planners how she could help. Just like before, Taehyung smiled.

"Nothing, Hedgie," he said, pulling out a chair near Hyori's high chair. "Today you and Jungkook get to relax and enjoy your daughter's birthday. We have everything covered. Sit down. Relax."

With a hand on her shoulder, Taehyung guided her to the seat and she sat down with a plop, pouting. Jungkook, just about done washing their dishes from breakfast, looked over his shoulder to see his fiancée's lip poked out.

"Princess," he chuckled. "It's going to be ok. Between them and my parents, they have everything under control."

As Rose walked through the kitchen carrying a tray of food meant for the patio, the sight of Hyun-Ji made her stop. "What's wrong? Why are you sad?"

Jungkook dried his hands. "She's ok. She's just a control freak that's having a hard time letting it go."

"I am not a control freak," Hyun-Ji said, pouting harder.

Jungkook scrunched his nose in disbelief and looked away. She might not be ready to admit it, but Hyun-Ji was always fussing over the smallest things to make sure they were perfect, and today being Hyori's birthday made that instinct double. From the way his fringe lay on his forehead to Hyori's clothes, she was always making little adjustments while they sat obediently until she finished.

Well, Jungkook did. Hyori would scurry away once her tolerance had worn out, which didn't take long.

"You really want to help that much?" Rose asked.

Hyun-Ji's brow drew together. "She's my daughter. I feel bad not doing something."

"You did the ultimate thing by bringing that healthy, beautiful girl into this world," Rose said, earning a tiny smile from Hyun-Ji. "If you absolutely need something to do, you can go and get ready for photos. I'll have Taetae get started on those early."

The task seemed to placate Hyun-Ji enough to stop her pouting for the moment and Jungkook smiled behind her as she left to start her given task.

"She's cute," Rose smiled. "She just can't take a day off."

"Yeah," Jungkook agreed. "She's not happy if she's not taking care of someone."

Rose bent down to Hyori's level, coming in for a kiss. "Well, mama is someone too and she can spend all day caring for herself and enjoying the little one's birthday," she said, smooching her forehead.

Hyori blinked up at her and smiled at the affection, then went back to trying to put the beaten piece of melon into her mouth without looking. Her mouth, hands, and the tabletop of her high chair were all stained pink from the sad piece of watermelon that was unlucky enough to be her snack.

Jungkook chuckled at how Hyori stuck out her tongue to reach the melon while looking up at Rose making funny faces at her. "I'll keep Hyun-Ji from freaking out," he said.