• 78 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
Pacific - Sleeping at Last
——  ∞  ——

"Why... are you on... my head?"

Not even his deepest, most gravelly morning voice was enough to deter the little one from grabbing her father by the hair to pull herself up to stand. Laying on his side, Jungkook's jaw clenched when she gripped a handful of hair a little too close to his still hypersensitive scar. He breathed through the pain until Hyori released him.

Only for her to lay her body across the back of his head. A chubby hand smushed his cheek in, making him finally open his eyes and blink a few times.

"Da deee!"

Talking around the pacifier that hung between her lips, the tiny tyrant had officially deemed sleepy time to be over. She was awake and ready to play, meaning everyone else was too.

And by everyone else, that meant Jungkook.

Her heavy breathing and the squishy sound of her sucking her pacifier tickled his ear. He chuckled but remained still, allowing her to continue her attempt to crawl over his head while chanting his name non-stop.

"Da dee?" Her voice slid up in question until it squeaked.

"Hm," he answered sleepily.

Imitating his voice, Hyori lowered her voice until she was nearly growling. Raven hair and Bambi eyes came into view as she leaned over him and began her trademark staring contest. Identical eyes blinked at each other.

"Da dee," she gurgled deeply.

"You sound like a dinosaur," he grinned.

"Da dee!"

"Hyori!" He growled back.

She mimicked him, making her voice raspier. "Da dee!"

"Rawr!" He grunted.

"Rawr!"

He flipped her over his back and the pair kept up their growling competition until Jungkook attacked her with the tickle monster. She grabbed handfuls of hair that had escaped his ponytail, laughing and squealing until she became breathless. Only then did he allow her a break. He hovered over her, waiting for her to recover while she giggled up at him with sparkling eyes full of anticipation of his next move.

Maybe waking up like this wasn't so bad. The previous night, he had fallen asleep soon after she did, too tired to transition her to her bed, and together they slept through the entire night.

Or perhaps he just missed Hyun-Ji and didn't want to sleep alone.

The real reason didn't matter.

He attacked Hyori one more time, stopping before she managed to pull his hair from the root in all her excitement. He smooched her marshmallow cheek and pried his fringe from her hands before rolling over and sending her mother a good morning text. She had probably already finished visiting her uncle's memorial by now. The morning was almost over.

Yawning and stretching wide, he mumbled a complaint that fatherhood was accelerating his age and how he was too young for his joints to pop that much in the morning and got out of bed. Already designating herself as his personal shadow, Hyori crawled behind him and raised her arms for him to pick her up. He seamlessly obliged her and set her on his hip.

"Good morning," he called out, emerging from his bedroom.

The house was silent except for the sounds of nature the gentle breeze carried through the open windows. He walked into his parents' open door to find their bed neatly made. They had already left for their respective jobs.