• 60 •

——    ——

Jungkook must have been more tired than he let on. It was the only time he ever really snored. Usually, his breathing was just heavier than when he was awake, but the sound of his slumber was enough to wake her from her midday, and much needed, nap.

Maybe naps didn't solve all of her problems, but this one certainly seemed to dull the emotional stress and the headache her problems left her with. Why was Hyori so against them?

Hyun-Ji arched her back, stretching stress-tightened muscles, and looked down at the being blocking her from fully extending. The angelic tyrant and precious destroyer was lying horizontally in the center of the bed, her feet resting on Jungkook's chest and her head lodged in Hyun-Ji's stomach. She seemed to be the only one comfortable in the group, and the three of them laying together looked like a capital letter 'H'.

How did this even happen? Hyun-Ji breathed out a chuckle and gently removed her daughter's head from her midsection, placing it gently onto the bed and watching until her bobbing pacifier came to a stop. She eased out of bed with the same caution as a woman on a tightrope, hoping to give the pair a little more time to recharge after the afternoon's draining events.

Now out of the warmth and comfort of their nest, Hyun-Ji's melancholy quickly returned, just as quickly as the cooler air of their bedroom chilled her skin. She turned and looked at her sleeping family, inexplicably feeling out of place. Out of everyone in their small family, and in their house even, she felt like the only flawed member. The Jeon's were perfect and she was far from perfection.

Why was her life like this?

She turned her back on the question that was impossible to answer and silently dressed in the most comfortable clothes she could while still looking presentable to the outside world. Feeling alone made her want to be alone, a desire she hadn't experienced in a very long time. After her hair was piled into the semblance of a top knot, she placed a feather-light kiss on her fiancé's temple.

He didn't move a muscle in response and Hyun-Ji deduced he really was tired. Ever since the accident, Jungkook tired more easily. She hoped he felt better than she did when he woke up and soundlessly closed the door behind her.

Quiet steps descended the stairs. She slid her feet into her sneakers, positioning herself closer to the staircase and making her body as small as possible to avoid being detected by the other happier occupants of the house. Jungkook's parents were in the kitchen chatting like best friends, a stark contrast to her miserable state. Leaving without at least greeting them was rude, but she felt that even a hello from her would only drag down the cheerful atmosphere surrounding them into an inescapable black hole of depression.

This affliction she would keep to herself.

"Ah, the first one is up."

Luck was not on her side. Haneul had spotted her from where she stood at the kitchen island. Leaving without conversing was now impossible. With an internal sigh, Hyun-Ji kicked off her shoes and walked into the kitchen where she was greeted with smiles of fondness.

"Hey, girlie," Haneul smiled, looking up from where she chopped ingredients for spaghetti.

"Hi, mom. Hi, dad," she murmured, easing into the kitchen with shy steps.

"The other two still sleeping?" Haneul asked.

"Yes," Hyun-Ji nodded. "We were all kind of tired."

Jungseok, who had been wordlessly regarding her over his shoulder, turned and finally spoke. "You ok, dear? You look like something's bothering you."