• 63 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
—— ∞ ——

"Do you want to come inside?"

Seokjin turned toward her soft smile and returned one of his own. "If you would like me to."

She nodded, her smile widening. "I would."

"Ok."

Hyun-Ji quickly unbuckled her seatbelt and exited the car, walking with excited steps toward the front door with her father following more slowly. She turned and waited for him, noticing the slight crease in his brow. It almost appeared as if he were nervous, but his emotions were always hard to read.

"Are you ok?" She asked.

"Yes," he said. "I just haven't been around a baby since..."

He paused, looking away as he recollected.

"Since you," he said softly.

The knowledge made her heart constrict. She had been in his life from the very beginning of hers, not knowing that the child he held in his arms on countless occasions belonged to him, not knowing that the bond he formed against his better judgment was one meant for him.

"She'll love you."

Seokjin had only seen Hyori in passing the day of their conversation, not feeling that it was the right time to formally meet her, not until he knew that Hyun-Ji was accepting of his new role in her life.

"I'll love her too," he said.

With those words, the tightness in her chest eased, giving way to hope, and her smile widened.

Unlocking the door, Hyun-Ji walked into her home and kicked off her shoes by the front door, noting that Jungkook wasn't in his usual place on the sofa and probably still laying down. Hyori could be heard in the kitchen, and her happy babbling instantly brought another smile to Hyun-Ji's face.

She turned to her father, who was taking his shoes off as well. "Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"You'll do fine," Hyun-Ji encouraged.

She motioned for him to follow her, and together they joined the pair in the kitchen.

Cooked carrots and peas served more as an art project than the meal it was supposed to be. Hyori pushed them around her tray as she spoke in a language only she and her parents were fluent in, occasionally looking over the side when she knocked a piece of her meal to the floor to join the others. Only those fit for consumption were grabbed with her chubby fingers and smashed into her mouth.

While she played with her food, Areum stood by the kitchen island pouring water from the kettle into her mug. She looked up when she heard them enter, sending them both a hopeful yet careful smile, while Hyun-Ji's faded.

"Hi, mom," she said quietly.

"Hi," Areum said to both of them, her gaze shifting from one to the other.

"Ma ma!" Hyori screeched, squeezing the softened carrots in her hand until they oozed out of her fist.

The smile that disappeared at the sight of her mother returned to full wattage for her daughter. "Hyori, what are you doing with your food?" She giggled, walking over to her and releasing her from her high chair.

A loud smooch was planted on her marshmallow cheek. "How's my big girl?"

Hyori answered by smashing her crushed food into her mouth, and Hyun-Ji took the opportunity to wipe her daughter's hands clean before she ended up with carrots and drool in her hair again.